You are in... Forums > General > General > Visor colours

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Visor colours

Are there any benefits to each of the different visor colours available? Do the mirrored visors make everything darker, for instance, or bend various colours?

Or are they literally just additional peacock feathers to choose from?

Need to get a new visor for my helmet but have the option of:
  • Clear
  • Dark Tint
  • Iridium
  • Silver Mirror
  • Gold Iridium, and
  • Blue Iridium.
I've already got a pop-down sun-visor inside the helmet so will probably end up going for the clear version. Just wanted to see if there actually was a reason for the multi colouredness!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 February 2013 11:27)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Visors

Coloured visors might look a bit trick (to some) but they do tint the colour of things you see through them. For example a blue tint visor will make red lights look purple etc.

Plain iridium (or carra coated visors) are basically just a dark tint visor with iridium coating. The irridium coating generally doesn't distort colour too much (it can even improve contrasts) but it does reduce light passing through the visor. This means that an iridium visor will appear to have a heavier tint than the tinted visor it was made from.

Clear visors can obviously be a problem in bright sunlight conditions or where there's significant road glare. NB: If driving in those conditions without a way of reducing the light intensity wasn't considerred dangerous then cars wouldn't have sun visors. To demand that riders aren't afford a similar level of protection in those situations can be patently dangerous.

Tinted visors are legal up to a maximum of 15% light reduction but opthologists have gone on record and stated that in some circumstances up to 80% light reduction visors could be beneficial. The police however are perfectly willing to cause riders deaths by blind adherence to their own interpretation of some words in statute law books. Many people who ride with heavy tinted visors also carry a clear visor and that will often stop a cop form interpretating visor legislation wordings like a moron. That said however in some parts of scotland a few years ago police were confiscating dark tinted visors when used on bright sunny days. Possibly this was a simple power trip by the local boys in blue in that part of the country.

The simple fact is it's your life and you make your choices. Riding in poor lighting conditions with a heavy tinted visor could put your life and other road users lifes in danger.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Iridium coated screens

are CRAP in the rain.

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

brilliant spondonste

Thank you! That's pretty awesome info :-)

Think I'll go with the clear visor for now while I still have a drop-down sun visor thing. V. useful to know about the tinted-ness however, so thanks!

eatcs01 - how so??

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Yellow improves low level light conditions as in AA night driving glasses.

Light red improves seeing puddles on the road surfaces which are wet or when the roads are starting to dry.

Use sunglasses, they are easier to store when not needed and if you have different tints its easy to change to suit conditions and the cops can't touch you wearing them.

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

I'm not a non mouse its me smidget.

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

I bought a

new AGV at the London show yesterday and it has a pair of dark shades (fighter pilot stylee) that pop down at the flick of a switch....

No need for dark visors for me anymore.... Cool!

I am too kool fer skool now defo!!  :lol::lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Oh..

and EATSC 01 is right... I bought an iridium screen for my old ZX6 once and within 3 months it was shagged.. all the mirror effect came off and it looked terrible so had to go in the bin

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Tint is good and...

Just to add to the car sun visor comment. When riding towards the sun when it's low in the Sky we have the option of lowering our heads to block out the sun, most of the time..... but on those occasions that the Sun is directly in front, like on the brow of a hill, then I find raising my left hand helps.

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

This could possibly be my next Shoei..

:biggrin::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Tis

the right colour Mrs H :biggrin: