Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Are sat-navs really necesarry? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Are sat-navs really necesarry?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Are sat-navs really necesarry?

"When I need to, I strap a knackered old map to my tank to get me from A to B. My friends all seem to use sat-navs but I don’t see the point. They are hugely expensive and fiddly, having to attach and detach them after every use must be irritating. Are there really any benefits that my trusty map can’t...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 February 2013 11:31)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
billysollocks

Feb 09

I'm rather guessing that SatNavSteve will have something to say about this ! He's old school, same as me. You can't beat an up to date map and a mark one eyeball. Being of a somewhat more relaxed type these days, slowing down to look at signs helps you to see your surroundings a bit more. I also love thinking "I wonder where that road goes?", then going to find out. It can be very interesting, especially when abroad. Try it one day, you may like it. As one who moans about the inhabitants of tin boxes being distracted by such gadgets, 'twould be hypocritical for me to use one, so I don't.

But that's just little old me.

Reply to this Topic
anyweather

Oct 08

anyweather says:

Speed Cameras.

My Urban Rider clips on very easily and it cost me less that the fines and points that I now have due to the speed scameras,

I dont bother using it for directions but the camera alert I get in my headset when I get near one makes me grin a little, it almost makes me feel like I'd just got one up on them.

Reply to this Topic
jahtlR

Jun 12

jahtlR says:

I didnt want to spend 300-400 quid on a motorbike one so I just use an old tom tom in a small waterproof pouch that straps to the bars and has been fine, good for speed cameras too!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

"necesarry" ????

Nope But Spell Checker would help in the MCN Office!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
Victor9098

Jan 08

Victor9098 says:

Of course not...

Of course they are not necessary, but few things are. That said, I really enjoy using them. I am not sure what your budget is are what you consider to be "hugely expensive" but pop onto somewhere like Halfords and you can find a quality GPS with life-time (of the unit) maps for the whole of Europe for less than £90. Then a trip to Hein Gericke or a flick through a SW Motech catalogue will get you a case and mount for your bike. All for a fraction of the motorcycle specific units. I do not use a headset or have the sound on, just a quick glance at directions from time to time. Brilliant for discovering new places, spend all day getting lost and then hit 'take me to X'. If you are travelling 'on the fly', they are useful for finding you locations to stay when you decide to park up for the night. I download campsite locations for instance before a trip. That said, always carry a road map in my gear for back-up. To each their own, but do give them a try.

Reply to this Topic
Typhon219

Oct 11

Typhon219 says:

If I didn't have a sat nav I'd spend too mych time stopping to check the map, and explaining to the kids that todays plans are cancelled as daddy got lost again so was 3 hours late home. I've an Urban rider so it's easy to use when riding, if a little distracting at times. The camera alert is a godsend.

Reply to this Topic
tcsoft

Feb 13

tcsoft says:

I use my smartphone

I have CoPilot Live on my HTC One X and my iPhone and it covers all of USA and Europe, so I don't have to remember what maps I need, I know I have them all already. It's also always up to date, which your paper map is not, even when it's printed it's out of date.

You're right, you don't need them, but they are useful.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Can you Read?

Have all the road signs been removed suddenly?

if you've answered YES, then NO.

then in answer to your question NO you don't NEED a sat nav. do you Want one is an entirely differant question that only you can answer!

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

Are they necessary?

No, is the simple answer. It's a very personal decision. If maps get you where you want to go with no fuss, or you only ride routes you know, sat nav is probably not for you. If you find, as many people do, that using a map can be a bit of a distraction, and you're regularly riding unknown roads, it might be worth trying out. Personally I like to use a bike-specific unit for the bluetooth audio so that I can get directions without having to look at the screen. I have the unit mounted high, rather than down by the tank, so that when I do want to check the screen it's a very quick glance. Sat-Navs aren't essential - we all got where we wanted to go before they came along - but I find it makes the journey less frustrating, especially when navigating around unknown towns in flowing traffic with limited opportunity to stop safely to check a map!

Reply to this Topic
sar02

Aug 10

sar02 says:

I find mine very usefull in Europe when looking for camping sites, most cases, doing motorway riding its not in use but at the end when looking for a site its great.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices