Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Are sat-navs really necesarry? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Are sat-navs really necesarry?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Are sat-navs really necesarry?

"When I need to, I strap a knackered old map to my tank to get me from A to B. My friends all seem to use sat-navs but I don’t see the point. They are hugely expensive and fiddly, having to attach and detach them after every use must be irritating. Are there really any benefits that my trusty map can’t...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 February 2013 11:31)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bungle1078

Nov 12

Bungle1078 says:

I learnt how to read a map as a kid

I think nearly every kid i knew was able to read a map. But now they dont even know who Winston Churchil is and think Cumbria is a land in Narnia.

Do you need a Sat-Nav no. Do they god yes! I use one now and again for city's i dont know. It saves on stoping and folding the page so i can start again!

Taking it off is as much as an arse of taking your lid and gloves off. You just need to do it.

Do you need a phone that can read barcodes, search the internet, take pictures, scratch your arse? Not realy but its nice to have. Same for a Sat-Nav. If you dont want one then dont have one, but why whinge abou those that do. I bet you have one for the car though! Go on be honest!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Yes.

No motorcyclist ever made a journey without getting lost prior to GPS.

P.S. To Bungle1078 – Sir Winston Churchill was of course the father of John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

If they'd not been invented then

our SatNavSteve would be know just as Steve, or maybe even Gramophone Steve, who knows?

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

I use mine

to read the road ahead. On a decent country road that I have never been on, with hills and blind summits, it's useful to know where the corners are, and how severe they are. That over the brow of a hill is a junction, or a sudden curve to the right or left. Yes, road signs can tell you a lot, but they won't show how sharp a bend is, or how close a hidden junction may be.

They are no more a distraction than a quick glance at your speedo. Also, as others have said, very useful navigating around a strange city. Always have a map, if only for route planning and programming in waypoints, but also in case your SatNav dies.

I never use mine if I already know the road, but you will always see the same car drivers on the same route every day religiously running with their SatNav switched on. Some people can't live without a gadget I suppose.

If you can afford a bike specific unit, like the Garmin Zumo aor the TomTom Rider, you can't "fiddle" with them on the move, so the temptaion to do so is removed. This is not the case for the car units that some riders use on their bikes.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Hahahaha

Can sat nav alert you to temporary obstructions or hazards just beyond the brow of a hill or round the next bend?

Fallen trees, broken down lorries, tractors turning right, etc....

SMMYSNDSY (Sorry Mate My Sat Nav Didnt See You)

Like I said, they're for numpties.

Reply to this Topic
triumphgibbo

Feb 13

triumphgibbo says:

of course not.

I and two friends recently did norwich to morroco and back with just maps, fail safe and enjoyable!
I got seperated form the other two for three days riding, from the top of spain to somewhere near the bottom, and got down there fine with an awful map from the campsite company, and asking people in my terrible spanish where the eff I was.

We wrote the road names on our dashes, followed the numbers and made it fine. We were on c90s too, so extra need to not waste time going the wrong way

ITS AN ADVENTURE!!

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

To SatNavSteve, sadly we've not met, but your epithets on here do strike a chord with me. As for gadgets, I don't have an I phone or mobile computer thingy, the only tablets I understand are the ones you take for hangovers. Mind you, I did get the missus a new gadget, it's called an I-ron.

The old ones are still the old ones........

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

mmmmnnn

Is spellcheck really necessary ?

Reply to this Topic
Peakrider2012

Feb 13

Beam me Up

No they are not. They take away your RESPONSIBILITY as a rider. Use a Map. Much more interesting.

Reply to this Topic
offordc

Nov 05

offordc says:

Peakrider2012 - can i just enquire how a sat nav takes away your RESPONSIBILITY as a rider, not sure what you mean by that???

My oppinion is that you either like them or you don't, either way they are here to stay, i have one that i was given as a present, sometimes i use it sometimes i don't, Personally when on strange roads i would rather have a voice whispering in my ear when to turn than having to take my eyes off the road to stare at a map especially when i have the wife on the back.

I rarely slap in a destination & off i go, i'll sit & plan my route with a map & input it to the sat nav so i still follow the route i want to take, i just don't have to take my eyes off the road to refresh my directions.

I also find it usefull for finding that unexpected need for a toilet stop or tea/food break as i don't like the crap McDonalds or a lot of service areas slop up or when i am just riding along & see an interesting unplanned detour or when riding at night, at the end of the day we all pay our money & take our choice, OUR being the operative word. :-)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices