Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Are sat-navs really necesarry? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Are sat-navs really necesarry?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Are sat-navs really necesarry?

"When I need to, I strap a knackered old map to my tank to get me from A to B. My friends all seem to use sat-navs but I don’t see the point. They are hugely expensive and fiddly, having to attach and detach them after every use must be irritating. Are there really any benefits that my trusty map can’t...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 February 2013 11:31)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

rlf3, you are obviously

a riding God. Smarter than everyone else.

Of course SatNav can't see round corners any more than you can, no matter how good your observational skills may be.

If you ride around assuming that there's a fallen tree, tractor or any other hidden obstruction over every hill or round every blind bend, then you might as well stop, get off your bike, walk over the hill to check before progressing any further. You know, just to be really, really careful.

Equally, a SatNav should never be a substitute for good observation, but there are times when you can't tell which way the road is going, like no tree line, no telegraph poles, no road signs, but a little bit of live map reading from a SatNAv just makes life a little easier.

Advanced riders are taught to take corners at a speed that allows them to pull up in the distance that they can see, but even that is moderated with a bit of common sense, otherwise we would be crawling around every blind bend.

So, you don't like SatNavs. Bully for you. It doesn't make everyone else a numpty though. It's how, and when, that they are used that matters. If you can ride, alone, into a city that you have never visited, and find an address without stopping to check a map or ask for directions, then you have the navigational skills of a homing pigeon, but somehow I doubt that that is the case.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

MudDoctor...

I think Rif3 was being "Tongue in cheek". He was probably aghast at your comments about using satnav to show when a corner was coming....? That comment scared the shite outa me, hope I don't meet you out on the road.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Numpties

MudDoctor wrote: Advanced riders are taught to take corners at a speed that allows them to pull up in the distance that they can see

They can't be very advanced, because that is the basic standard taught to every learner.

I once had to go to a breaker at an address in Munich from a campsite across the city.

It was my first visit there.

Walked into a newsagent, had a quick shufti through an A-Z, popped it back on the stand and rode straight to the address.

It's not difficult to find your way around but its a skill which will never be learned by numpties who blindly follow a sat nav.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

The Last Quarter-Mile

I worked as a long-distance courier back in the nineties. Sat-Nav was not readily available then and certainly not for bikes. I always reckoned to get within a quarter-of-a-mile of anywhere in the country by looking at a map before I set off. Then maybe I would need the local A-Z for the last bit.

I never got lost, consulting a map and having that in your head as you ride helps to maintain a sense of direction and location and is far better than using a Sat-Nav which is just another distraction and a bit pointless from city to city in any case.

Also, when I've been travelling by van to race meetings I've found a road map is far more useful when needing to navigate around a hold up. Although you really need a savvy co-driver for that.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

I occasionally ride

with a couple of BMW tourers who have sat nav. Most of my riding is around the same roads(i'm a weekend warrior get over it) but on one such occasion we missed the turning to get onto the interesting twisty bits (Talgarth in Wales, its easily done).

So said Matey sticks his sat nav on to guide us back to the Twistys.

Well this bloody machine had us going over goat paths and mountains for hours,roads only sheep know well. not fun.

At one point i did suspect he was leading me to a trap, and a van load of eastern europeans were going to hijack me to sell my kidneys on.

in future i'd retrace my steps.

I have Sat Nav in the car but you need to still use common sense with them.

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

rlf3

you have just kind of made my point. You found the address in Munich after consulting a map. A SatNav is just a sophisticated map anyway. And sure, we all used to navigate without a SatNav before they existed, the same way that you do today. I even managed to go round corners without one too.

Sure, some people will believe what the SatNav says religiously, but that is where common sense comes in. A goat track is not a road, so obviously something isn't right. There are plenty of stories out there of people driving down cliff roads, or into fords too deep for their car, or into to a field or whatever, but I would suggest that those are the exceptions rather than the rule.

A SatNav should ideally be used in conjunction with a map, if only to have a large scale view of your route. Even using my SatNav, I still have a mental picture of where I want to go, so I can ignore the SatNav if I suspect that it is going off track. In other words, I don't rely on it solely for navigation

So long as you don't treat the SatNav as an absolute, use it with a little common sense, it's a very useful tool. As others have said, it can show you where the nearest petrol station is, which can be really helpful if you're running on fumes. Sure, good forward planning should eliminate such things, but you can't always plan for everything.

By all means take a Luddite approach, but in my view I will embrace new technology if I find it useful.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

So we agree

The question posed is: are sat navs necessary.

Clearly they are not.

I would go further, any device which distracts attention away from observing the road conditions is A Bad Thing

Along with HID lights (another pet hate of mine) I would like to see them banned, but that won't happen as I fear that mine is a minority view.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Sat navs

Are they necessary? No. But they are a modern solution to an old problem.

Just like disc brakes, modern suspension, radial tyres and HID headlights. We coped just fine before they came along. Can you remember the uproar and "debate" over electronic ignition -v- points and condensor...

Luddites view:- I can set my points with a fag paper at the road side.

Non luddites :- Yes, but with electronic igntion, I DON'T NEED TO...

I've used maps in the past, but i wouldn't be without my satnav. It's a damned sight safer glancing at the 'nav than it is looking at the map, trying to work out where you are, then finding it's got soaked by the rain...

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

MudDoctor...yes but

using a satnav to see where the next corner is ?....seriously, concentrate on the road, look for the road signs, you will soon see when a corner is coming. Lets not add anymore distractions to bikes, we all see the results of such distractions in the sometimes woeful actions of car drivers. I can clearly see the dangers ahead on both counts. Luddite approach? maybe.

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

We used them on the railway as they had access gates on them so yes they were useful and we struggled with out them, but people using them to see what time they will get home, so they can phone the wife to let her know what time to get the tea on, pleeeeaaasseeee.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle