Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Are sat-navs really necesarry? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Are sat-navs really necesarry?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Are sat-navs really necesarry?

"When I need to, I strap a knackered old map to my tank to get me from A to B. My friends all seem to use sat-navs but I don’t see the point. They are hugely expensive and fiddly, having to attach and detach them after every use must be irritating. Are there really any benefits that my trusty map can’t...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 February 2013 11:31)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
occytherp

Jul 05

occytherp says:

useful addition not replacement

I use both a sat nav and maps when touring in England and Europe. Maps for planning off route riding to explore, but when I have a deadline to get to a ferry or place to stay, then I use a sat nav. But my sat nav is an addition, not a replacement for common sense or my eyes and ears. It certainly should not dictate how a bend is taken or positioning on a road, this is technology to assist riding pleasure, not take out the human element to increase safety.

Reply to this Topic
sar02

Aug 10

sar02 says:

When i worked for a major telephone company i found my satnav invaluable in getting me to a customer, now i am retired and the owner of a lousy memory the satnav helps me ride around Britain and Europe without having to make frequent stops to refresh my memory to find out just where i am.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Not that keen on them

I do use them occasionally in the car if working away, although they aren't brilliant at finding their way round industrial estates in my experience.

Never bother with it on a bike, I just check a map when I stop for fuel if I need to.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices