Skip to content

Discuss This Would you really take the BMW R1200GS or KTM Adventure off road? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Would you really take the BMW R1200GS or KTM Adventure off road?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Would you really take the BMW R1200GS or KTM Adventure off road?

The KTM 1190 and BMW R1200GS are two huge updates to the adventure bike market, but would you really take either of them for some serious off-roading? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 February 2013 12:09)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

?

would you really take the BMW R1200GS or KTM Adventure off road? hmmmm.....this should be interesting.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

i would only

take a bike offroad that i can afford to drop and damage, therefore ruling both bikes out!

if i was rich, hell yes.but i'm not:blink:

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

It's gripped! It's sorted!

Let's park in the mucky end of the Sainsbury's car park! Silly question is silly. Aside from the sadly obvious dangers of hurling that much weight around in the veldt, how are you going to haul it out of a ditch without a camera crew and support vehicles?

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Since I never owned a R1200gs I can't have. But when I owned an R1150GS I did a lot of off-roading on it. Took it through Monument Valley in the sand, up the Oregon trail, Over 3 Sisters and through Duchennes, Grand Canyon and Bryce National parks, to name a few. And it did very well in everything but mud. As for the expense, my attitude was - "after spending all that money, it *better* be able to go offroad" - and it did. Oh, and picking it up with those wide handlebars is a one handed affair once you know the technique.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

How to make overland riding difficult for yourself

Lets face it, KTM 1190 and BMW 1200 GS are the chelsea tractor equivalent of the bike world. It is possible to off road on them but then again it's possible to overland tour on sportsbikes (eg Nick Sanders and his R1 or triumph daytona). If you're likely to do a reasonable amount of overland riding on a tour then these bikes are a liability due to their weight. They're simply unsuitable for real offroad riding but road use with very occassional light green laning is fine for them.

If you look at the likes on horizonsunlimited web page for people who world tour on bikes then those who choose to ride mainly tarmaced roads would consider such a bike. Those tours with significant real overland riding generally choose older 600 (ish)cc size single cylinder dual purpose bikes like DR650/350, KLR etc.

Reply to this Topic
NULUSIOS

Jan 13

NULUSIOS says:

They'll both surprise you with what they can do. Yes they react differently than a 450 enduro bike, but you need to put it on a trailer.

Reply to this Topic
stickywicket

Jul 10

stickywicket says:

Check out Joe Pichler KTM and you will see on his current tour of Africa on the new KTM that the bike is more than capable!

Reply to this Topic
enzo1098

Aug 08

enzo1098 says:

I sold my Multistrada and now just use the KTM640 for everything. It uses Half the fuel can cruise all day at 140KPH (In Australia that is fast enough for 1 month suspension loss) and is not stopped by rocky hills like the Multi was, It also cost half as much to register and insure!! So when they (any manufacturer) make a decent bike I will sell the old 640!

I Have a feeling I will not be upgrading for some time judging by what they are offering these days.

Reply to this Topic
paulfielding

Aug 02

paulfielding says:

Nahh!!!

Stick some knobblies on a TDR250 and have some propper fun!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

GS off road

I take my 1200 Gelande Strasse (road/off road) every time I ride. I live on a private road.

OK, so it is STILL on road, but people forget that greenlanes are ROADS.

I bet more GSs and KTMs go off road, than GSXR/FIRBLADE/ZX/YZFs etc go on a race track. Surely the point of a race rep is to go on a track???

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices