Skip to content

Discuss This Would you really take the BMW R1200GS or KTM Adventure off road? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Would you really take the BMW R1200GS or KTM Adventure off road?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Would you really take the BMW R1200GS or KTM Adventure off road?

The KTM 1190 and BMW R1200GS are two huge updates to the adventure bike market, but would you really take either of them for some serious off-roading? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 February 2013 12:09)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

@spondonste I both agree completely and disagree. As one of those people on Horizons Unlimited who have taken a KLR (the Americas - 5 years) and a DR (Africa - 4 months) for extended tours and various other smaller bikes in Asia and South East I believe these bikes are the perfect bikes for adventure touring there. For me. When I lived in the States, however, the BMW was perfect because of the huge distances involved and the 5-600 mile days to get to where you wanted to slow down. But: unless you're really going offroad, not just on unsurfaced and fire roads - they're a personal choice. I met someone in Batopilas going along the Cameno Real on an old 700cc Suzuki cruiser and having a blast. I've also bumped into that Dutch bloke who goes around the world on sports bikes like Nick Sanders. (At 6'5" not something I would do) Horses for courses. And despite everything, the GS's are fabulous bikes, if you don't want a sports bike. I totally loved my R1150GS - and yes, I bought it before the television clad crew wrecked their image for us.

Reply to this Topic
NoddieGee

Jan 13

NoddieGee says:

Really!

What's the point! It will be like riding a hippo for a dressage competition! To have fun riding off road you want something light and agile.

Reply to this Topic
captaincardigan

Oct 04

Why tie the two together?

These are two very different bikes so why tie them together in this poll? What would be more interesting is 'Which of these two would you be happy to take off road?' The answer to that, despite the loyal following for the GSA, must be the KTM. I've owned a GSA and it's the only bike I've had in more than 45 years of riding that I've actually loathed - boring on the road and completely unweildy off road. A classic example being Sven(gali) of YouTube fame (RIP mate) who covered hundreds of miles off road without a problem until he decided to give his GSA a go and ended up breaking his lef in two places. The KTM has proper heritage as a modern (up until banned) Dakar winner. To make the BMW even remotely competitive off road HP had to make massive changes including dumping those unfeeling telelever front forks.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices