You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Gear Oil as Chain Lube

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

pjcharlesworth

Aug 10

Gear Oil as Chain Lube

Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me if you actually use gear oil to lube your bike chain (which is what the owners manual says)? I am finding that the Motul Chain Lube Road that I currently use is working out very expensive at £8.50 a can!

Any other recommended alternatives that may be a bit cheaper or better, and maybe a bit less messy?

Thank you.

Paul.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 February 2013 22:22)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
pjcharlesworth

Aug 10

Thanks for the word of warning

Thanks for the warning eatcs01. I will make sure I don't put too much on. Maybe worth dabbing over with a rag to make sure there isn't too much left on it after oiling it?

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Engine/Gear Oil

Using liquid oil for chains is perfect if the chain runs in an oil bath. The clue is in the name, it's designed to be used in enclosed lubrication systems. It will work on an exposed chain for approx 150mls depending on how wet the weather is. You'll then find it building up, all of it , however carefully it's applied,  in great gritty globs wherever it flies, ideal if you like the 'Stig of the breakers' yard' look but pillions may not see the funny side. Chains with rubber rings, whatever their shape, still need lubricating they just wear out more slowly. The rings reduce, not stop, the rate of lubrication loss & ingress of water & grit.  

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Gear oil chain lube.

I use 90w gear oil for my bikes too. I now think it's better than anything else.

MCN link to a previous discussion.

Won't used engine oil have all sorts of nasty stuff in it which the O-rings won't like?

Reply to this Topic
mallic

Nov 10

mallic says:

Chain Lube

I use Gear oil,because it's cheap, any fling is easy to wipe off and Mr Kawasaki recommends it in my service book,agree with James600zx about used engine oil,contaminated with all sorts of nasties so won't use it

Reply to this Topic
pjcharlesworth

Aug 10

First lot of gear oil applied!

Last weekend I cleaned and de-greased my chain, and have now brushed the gear oil onto the chain. It looks much cleaner after using the bike today. Also it looks as if the gear oil will go A LOT further than the spray on lube which went everywhere.

I made sure that I dabbed off any excess, so as not to get any on the wheel.

The chain does look much cleaner, and is not sticky like it was with the spray lube I was previously using. I'll see how it goes for the rest of the week.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices