Skip to content

Discuss This Death crash policewoman escapes charges because ‘phone was in her lap’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Death crash policewoman escapes charges because ‘phone was in her lap’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Death crash policewoman escapes charges because ‘phone was in her lap’

A policewoman who caused a crash that killed a motorcyclist while talking on her phone has escaped prosecution after saying the device was in her lap. The Crown Prosecution Service says there is not enough evidence that Collette Carpenter, 23, committed an offence. Carpenter, a special constable who has handed out at least six fines for using a phone while...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 February 2013 09:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
makemyday112

Feb 11

makemyday112 says:

this is discusting the police really are wankers so she lies and kills some1 but gets away with it seriously wtf if i see her shes getting spatt on dirty pig!

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

diablere

That’s a great Idea, I will contribute,, get it started get MCN to head the campaign, let’s do a charity sponsor ride. 

Reply to this Topic
manxman750

Feb 13

manxman750 says:

This is unbelievable! How does she get away with this, even if she wasn't distracted by the phone in her . . er lap. She pulled out in front of an innocent rider doing nothing wrong. I support the police in their difficult job but the crass stupidity of them and the cps astounds me. Not enough evidence! look at the photograph, witnesses state the rider wasn't speeding and she pulled out into his path. Surely it has to be, at a minimum - 'Causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving' a charge on conviction, punishable by: "On indictment - 5 years imprisonment, On summary trial - 6 months imprisonment. Minimum mandatory disqualification -12 months. Mandatory endorsement 3 -11 points. Discretionary re-test (s.36(4) RTOA 1988" (CPS website) How much longer do we have to put up with this 'sorry mate I didn't see you culture'. CPS be ashamed, yet again the victims family have been let down badly, my thoughts are with them. A total disgrace!

Reply to this Topic
occular

Feb 13

occular says:

They rarely get prosecuted for anything, even killing someone on camera didn't seem to have much of an effect other than a failed court case, sadly, for Mr Tomlinson's family. With a bit of luck she'll be retried and be reminded she is supposed to uphold the law, not be above it.

Reply to this Topic
thisandmatt

Jun 08

thisandmatt says:

Contribute

Bloody awful, she should be in prison! I'll contribute for a private prosecution is one is started. This would be a good thing for MCN to back.

Reply to this Topic
HaplessBiker

Nov 12

HaplessBiker says:

diablere

I’d definitely support you in this; it's an appalling verdict that sends out completely the wrong message. It doesn’t help bikers or road safety in general and it does the reputation of the police and the CPS no good either. I’d welcome and support any effort to get her re-tried; if a genuine explanation can be given for her innocence then great, but this clearly isn’t it. Condolences to Mr Bartholomew’s family and friends.

Reply to this Topic
mkeeling

Feb 13

mkeeling says:

How is it any different to the story below? Oh yes it involves a police officer... Double standards once again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1029749/Hands-free-phone-driver-convicted-causing-death-dangerous-driving.html

Reply to this Topic
denisnewell

Dec 04

denisnewell says:

CPS

Why do we have the CPS? Not to ensure guilty people receive appropriate punishment that is for sure. Seems their only purpose is to control the budget. We could save lots by scrapping the CPS.

Reply to this Topic
jaywalk

Oct 05

jaywalk says:

Ride out

This tragic event has left me feeling sick and very angry this morning, once again the law has come down against the motorcycling community and poor David and his family

I hope MCN will arrange an event to raise funds for his family(maybe a ride out with £25 entry) or an account for other riders to donate.  if this is done then i pledge £100 to get the ball rolling. James Walker .

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

When you get the fund going, PM me too. I will donate.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices