Skip to content

Discuss This Death crash policewoman escapes charges because ‘phone was in her lap’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Death crash policewoman escapes charges because ‘phone was in her lap’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Death crash policewoman escapes charges because ‘phone was in her lap’

A policewoman who caused a crash that killed a motorcyclist while talking on her phone has escaped prosecution after saying the device was in her lap. The Crown Prosecution Service says there is not enough evidence that Collette Carpenter, 23, committed an offence. Carpenter, a special constable who has handed out at least six fines for using a phone while...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 February 2013 09:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stevebandito

Oct 10

stevebandito says:

collette carpenter

collette carpenter karma will get you back you murdering bitch

Reply to this Topic
schoie2012

Feb 13

schoie2012 says:

discusting crazy country she deserverves to be jailed the law is a ass

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Revision...

After some searching... "Mr Bartholomew was overtaking a number of vehicles and Miss Carpenter was emerging from the Uddens Drive junction on the A31 at 7.15am when the collision took place."

I revise my earlier comment. There may be mitigating circumstances. Overtaking near a junction is asking for trouble & he may well have been obscured by the vehicles he was overtaking. At the very least though it qualifies for the lowest level of careless driving prosecution. The fact that her statement that the phone was in her lap has been proven to be so unreliable can only add weight to that argument.

"The inquest also heard Miss Carpenter had dished out six fixed penalties to drivers for using mobile phones during her time as a Special Constable."

"I don’t know why I didn’t say about the phone. I was in shock, maybe I didn’t think it was relevant at the time."

Now that's some bullshit!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

hedgehog.

So if Mr bartholomew was overtaking cars at the time, then surely she must have pulled out into the path of the very cars he would have been overtaking ? Either way She has caused the death of this man by careless driving. and should be be charged for that. 

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

If a protest ride or campaign is organised

I'll be there to protest the protest, because Daily Mail style kneejerk idiocy needs to be fought. The biker was doing a daft overtake past a van at the wrong place, and ran out of luck. I'm sorry that he came off worse, but that's the risk we take when we choose to crack on.

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

CPS to blame

The crown Prosecution Service is . i believe to blame for this debarcle. They will not take to court anything which is not straight forward if they believe that they will not win 100%. They fear to much for their record of conviction rates which means that anything not 100% certain will not get prosecuted.  They fear for their jobs.

No individual within that organisation will want to fail in any way in a prosecution as it may count against them.  Over the years, since there inception  within the CPS there has been created a fear of doing anything that would fail. and by doing so they fail themselves, the public and the laws of the land.

Perhaps had the decision to prosecute been in the hands of the police alone i am sure that it could have had a different outcome.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Snev...

The car drivers said they were "not inconvenienced by her manouvre" so no I guess she didn't... if it was a right turn she probably pulled across the front of the approaching cars in plenty of time, unfortunately into the path of the overtaking motorcycle, which may have been unsighted. As said, there's enough conjecture there (with the misleading phone evidence) to support a prosecution.

Reply to this Topic
walter54

Dec 12

walter54 says:

LIAR!!

She started off by telling lies so how come they believed her when she finally said the phone was in her lap? The family of the biker gets no justice at all because it was a police woman that killed him, would Joe Bloggs have been believed? I think not.

Reply to this Topic
simon0503

Jun 06

simon0503 says:

If enough people voice their disgust at this travesty of justice then maybe, just maybe we can get some consolation for Mr Batholomew's family by forcing the CPS to reconsider their decision not to prosecute. This cannot be allowed to rest without nothing being done about it!!!!

Reply to this Topic
vs1400gaz

Jan 12

vs1400gaz says:

corrupt society

It seems the car can do no wrong, or should I say the car driver. Blatant discrimination is alive and well , back up fully by the police ,courts and the government. For we see the new laws to discourage motor cycle usage, but where are the new laws for cars . After all cars cause congestion not bikes, Cars can cause more injury than bikes. But it's not hard to work it out, you've only got to examine the politicians and the way they act towards each form of personal transport, to understand which one the majority have chosen as their personal mode of transport is it. Talk about biased governing.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices