Skip to content

Discuss This Death crash policewoman escapes charges because ‘phone was in her lap’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Death crash policewoman escapes charges because ‘phone was in her lap’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Death crash policewoman escapes charges because ‘phone was in her lap’

A policewoman who caused a crash that killed a motorcyclist while talking on her phone has escaped prosecution after saying the device was in her lap. The Crown Prosecution Service says there is not enough evidence that Collette Carpenter, 23, committed an offence. Carpenter, a special constable who has handed out at least six fines for using a phone while...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 February 2013 09:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Rog

If you had said all that in the beginning, it would have saved all the rest of us having an opinion.

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

Maybe you cannot call the lady involved a REAL copper  but the powers that be still seem to have closed ranks . The C.P.S  seem to be sticking to the facts as they see them -  the driver was not holding the phone ,end of  ! . But I have seen other cases that have been similar  ,but the driver  was leaning forward changing a  C.D. or  drinking / eating / smoking , and they were taken to court  . If I were  the riders family  I would be seeing a  solicitor  about a private prosecution  .

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Rogerborg

Sorry Rog, but have to disagree. Only when I have some continued vision, through the line of approaching vehicles (window glass) do I pull out. A typical saloon car will also allow you to pick up a riders helmet over its roof-line. I would never pull out when a large vehicle totally obstructs my view, not even if the adjoining carriageway has double solids! I hope this is the case with others! All my posts on this fatal incident, are based on putting myself in the drivers seat of the car, I would not have pulled out till the van was clear of my obstructed view. Maybe this should be one of the questions/Scenarios in the driving test???

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

Regardless

of the rights or wrongs, it really pisses me off that bikers caught doing big speeds have been jailed, yet this arse gets away scot-free.

Sure, judges will consider the 'potential' for serious injury ot death with a speeding biker and hit him with a jail term, but when someone 'actually' kills another roads user, they're able to walk away without penalty?!?!  This country becomes more f**ked up every day. 

Reply to this Topic
manlow

Aug 02

manlow says:

Justice for David B

Has anybody set up an e petition for this? If so, what is the URL? :-))

Reply to this Topic
Rhisey

Feb 13

Rhisey says:

e- petition

An e-petition was submitted, but refused yesterday. A new one has been submitted now, waiting to hear back if it is accepted this time. Updates are on the Justice for David Bartholomew face book page, and all links will appear on there. https://www.facebook.com/#!/JusticeForDavidBartholomew

Reply to this Topic
Fomancu

Jul 08

Fomancu says:

Interesting Case..with remarkable parallels?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21554597

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

No Different...

No different here in the US, where the neighboring state (Illinois) has just passed a law with draconian penalties for riding a wheelie, but a cager that runs over and kills a motorcyclist, bicyclist, or pedestrian may not even get a traffic citation for failure to yield based on the “I didn’t see him/her” excuse.

Reply to this Topic
Rhisey

Feb 13

Rhisey says:

Leave negative feedback about the CPS

https://www.cps.gov.uk/contact/feedback_and_complaints/feedback_and_complaints_form/default.aspx  Please feel free to leave 'negative feedback' on their site... you'll get a letter of acknowledgement from Helene Mulholland, which says John Montague, Deputy District Crown Prosecutor will provide you with a response. A lot of people have already done this to help us try to get justice and get their anger across at the same time.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Without wishing to be negative, CPS will pay no attention whatsoever to complaints. They are not subject to discipline regulations or any form of punishment. They work for the Crown, which is basically a subsidiary of the incumbent Government. As such, they are pretty much fireproof, so any mistakes or incompetence, as appears to be the case here, will be reported to a senior lawyer then - FORGOTTEN. Oh, perhaps a junior will get a bollocking ove a glass of Chablis during lunch, then they all move on in their emotionless world of facts. Justice in this nation is  pitiful. 

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices