Skip to content

Discuss This Death crash policewoman escapes charges because ‘phone was in her lap’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Death crash policewoman escapes charges because ‘phone was in her lap’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Death crash policewoman escapes charges because ‘phone was in her lap’

A policewoman who caused a crash that killed a motorcyclist while talking on her phone has escaped prosecution after saying the device was in her lap. The Crown Prosecution Service says there is not enough evidence that Collette Carpenter, 23, committed an offence. Carpenter, a special constable who has handed out at least six fines for using a phone while...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 February 2013 09:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

re-visiting this....

she says her phone was in her lap....???? sit her in a car and her lap would be just under her Chins. Oh and billy... I got what you were saying.

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

re-visiting this....

Something that I too have commented on! Would be astonished for it to be possible, to have a clear conversation with the phone in her lap! She should have been prosecuted, for the simple fact of there being 'no' hands free device in the car, regardless of when the call began. As a further result; she should have been charged with Death by Careless Driving. The CPS's failings send out a clear message to bad drivers: Kill a biker and you'll likely get away with it. Suggest we be extra vigilant till a judge, somewhere, sets an example!

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

So

Collette Carpenter had handed out at least 6 fines for using a mobile whilst drivng... and if those drivers had said that their phone was in their lap, would she have let them off?

No chance.  Hypocritical in the extreme! 

I used to play football with a Special Constable.  He was always boasting that he could drive how he wanted as when he was pulled over he just had to flash his card at the officer and was quickly sent on his way with a "no problem mate, take it easy".  In the end, he told us at football that they'd caught him committing fraud and deception - basically totally abusing his powers as a Special, and he was advised that it wa perhaps time for him to find a different part-time role in another field.

Looking at the picture, I doubt this lump was much of an asset to Dorset Constabulary, and doubt she had the respect of all her 'proper' police colleagues!

Reply to this Topic
GrazzerFazer

Feb 11

GrazzerFazer says:

Plod

One rule for Plod and one for the rest of us, not the first time Plod has got away with motoring offences nor the last

Reply to this Topic
busaman195

Aug 09

busaman195 says:

not right

its a bloody disgusting,the police should have sacked her for this,and by the look of this pictuer she doesnt give a toss...how can you sleep carpenter????

Reply to this Topic
hotscott

Jun 07

hotscott says:

Dorset Police and the CPS should be ashamed. The police do look after Specials. I helped a lady friend (a special constable) A long drive and back to share car driving . When I was driving I went through a speed, sorry safety camera on an empty road at 20mph over the speed limit (in Dorset a Zero tolerance county). Nothing came of it as her car was registered on Database. I was glad not to have had points but it is not right. I think we can see what else Dorset Police allow their freebe Plod get away with. Police no longer police they manage incidents and usually it's the aftermath they deal with. Until mobile phone/ internet usage is properly dealt with bad things will continue to happen. I'm trully sorry for the family's loss and lack of Justice.

Reply to this Topic
StrangelySane

Apr 13

To be fair to Dorest police they DID try to prosecute this 'special' - how else would it have come before the CPS?

"Accident investigator PC John Hayward said: “The use of her mobile phone can only have been a distraction and has very likely contributed to her not seeing the motorcyclist.”

That the CPS decided, wrongly in my view, not to prosecute is another matter.

Reply to this Topic
stutts

Apr 13

stutts says:

typical,, hang your heads in shame police.one law for you and that's all that counts 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices