Skip to content

Discuss This No influx of new engineering expertise at Ducati MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > No influx of new engineering expertise at Ducati

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

No influx of new engineering expertise at Ducati

New Ducati boss Bernhard Gobmeier says the hiring of a host of new engineering expertise will not be implemented to help the Bologna factory’s recovery in the 2013 MotoGP world championship. Gobmeier has the task of re-building Ducati’s MotoGP project after a disastrous two-year spell with Italian legend Valentino Rossi. The size of that task became apparent earlier this month when the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 February 2013 12:00)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

Misano

Got to say I agree with dogbert on Misano it wasn't a representitve result Ducati and even if it was it still only makes one race in two seasons to support your argument that the bike has enough pace to be competitive. I agree completley that the Ducati requires changes that allow it t repond to setup but this is part of a long list of things it requires for example: A Chassis with enough flex to offer the riders feedback, an engine compact enough to allow it to be moved to make meaninful differences to weight distrobution, a Front end that feel like its connected to the bike and as you say time to make it work as a package. FYI The motor is definatley part of the problem BUT I don't see any problem with a 90% V angle, Honda are using it and its working for them.

Saturn- Yep Ducati have stood still in terms of pace but in terms of development the bike couldn't be more different from Casey's Championship winning bike. I'm not sure what but there seems to be something in their basic design ethos that is holding them back.

Next round of testing at Sepang will be a good guage as to which direction they intend to head this year

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

ok bulto

I agree we all have opinions but it seems your opinions about the Ducati are all related to trying to make out the bike is fine and Rossi was the problem.
As I have said most seem to realise this was not the case but you still like to come up with ridiculous ideas that current bike can still be competitve.
Why do you think Dovi says it needs big changes?
Why do you think Iannone says it is very difficult to ride compared to other bikes?
Early last season you were saying they just need another rider on the bike,one that is prepared to push a bit harder and now the current crop can't do anything you now say you would like to see Marquez on the bike.Even if they did find one rider that could ride it fast enough to get decent results what good would that do?
Just about everyone but you realises that there  is a big problem with the bike but you still spend hours trying to convince others your opinion is correct.

Reply to this Topic
weskit

Jun 10

weskit says:

an aside

I am reliably informed that around Borgo Panigale the phrase "send someone a valentine" is engineering slang for submitting an ill-conceived yet urgent request for the fabrication of a complicated part that will never be used. So tend to agree that the main impediment to the desmosedici's development has been removed.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

Tend to agree with weakit. Though the main impediment to success was demanding it. They can go back to normal now and tell the world they are only a small manufacturer.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

time's winged chariot etc was a large part of the problem

with valentino and ducati imo. He went there to win in the short term; not being immortal (physically at least) there is/was not enough time for him to take much of a long term view.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

When you're not big enough..it can be painful to watch.

I suggest it is Bulto and Bum Chum Nostro who are losing their grip?

Shouting at everybody in bold capitals gives us an insight into a fragile state of mind. The desperate need to scratch and claw away at Rossi efforts in an attempt to regain permanently dented credibilty is just a prelude to public meltdowns of Welsh Reverand proportions..mark my words.

It's safe to say that none of us have ridden a Ducati GP motorcycle but does it follow NO-ONE on this forum has the faintest idea of what is wrong with that bike, but there are plenty calling it shite without having a single tangible reason to explain why?

Of course it doesn't.

There have probably been more column inches written about the subject than any other topic with the word Ducati in a sentance. Every single rider who's raced it is on record repeatedly outlining it's problems and the current crop are no different..much to the above mentioned experts dismay.

To refresh your memories..Gobmeier came in and insinuated Rossi had been confused, lost direction, asked for too much too quickly and hadn't tested all the parts Ducati made for him. It was evolution not revolution and progress was still there to be made on the GP12 with a fresh lick of paint GP13.

A handful of laps at Sepang exploded that myth with both Ducati factory riders calling for wholesale change, over two seconds off the pace and behind Bradley Smith..another target for ire on this forum.

That Honda made a 90 degree V four work and had it winning the majority of races within a season, while Ducati have been all at sea with the handling of their brand essential lump shoehorned into multiple chassis since they lost the sole focus of Bridgestone tyres, should give Gormless Numpty Twins a clue..but No.

Similar to Gobmeier and Ducati Corse looking for solutions, our resident Rossi-haters are like headless chickens looking to reacquaint themselves with severed skulls buried deep in the sand, while actually digging an ever deeper hole in the wrong place.

Way to go boys..but this is what happens when the sting of damn fool pride fks with you. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

Doohan fan I applaud your optimism however suspect Ducati getting the drop, stoner and tyres over the jap manufacturers in the same season 'again' is highly unlikely to happen in our life times. Ducati are happy being Ducati they've been fortunate to dabble in the limelight of motogp and are now back where their engineering endeavour has put them.

Reply to this Topic
weskit

Jun 10

weskit says:

precisely

They are never going to have the resources of Honda or Yamaha, realistic aim is to be in the mix with the occasional podium or a win. A stroke of creative innovation and an exceptional rider might change that for a period, but you can't plan for that. 2 seconds off is not right though, but I have no doubt they'll improve dramatically before the season is out.

Their production bikes are still awesome. Thought I did walk by a guy standing next to his 1198s yesterday yelling on the phone that he'd "just picked it up from you and now it won't start." Of course it's not going to fricken start with that sort of attitude. Sheesh.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

We'll hold you to that 'dramatic improvement' weakit... Any ideas what you consider dramatic?? You'd expect an improvement over a riders first ever go after all. Dramatic considering your opinion of Rossi's internment must be around half a sec off the pace of the front guys if not closer.....

Reply to this Topic
weskit

Jun 10

weskit says:

you can hold me to whatever you like

Probably can't do worse than your 2011 predictions though can I?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices