You are in... Forums > General > General > Info required about sick '88 ZX 10

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

oldzx10

Feb 13

oldzx10 says:

Info required about sick '88 ZX 10

This is my 1st road bike & 1st time on any forum - swapped it for a KTM 525 EXC a Pom sold me the day he went back to the UK..2 hrs into the ride..cam chain busted caused AUD$4500- damage:doubt::mad:...so straight swapped dead KTM for this ZX10 '88 model, road licensed, rides ok but runs as rough as s***.

So, it's got 74000 k's on the clock, stock standard as far as i'm aware. Up to 3000 RPM, it splutters and pops out of RHS exhaust. Splutters more in higher rev range, getting embarassing:upset:.
Had oil/filter changed, air filter replaced too. It back fires out the RHS too when hot. Just bought some Irridium plugs from UK, hoping to instal soon to help with the problem [half price from UK:biggrin:] run top grade fuel, have put carby clean through tank, helped for a while, but back to s*** running again.
Any idea's what i should get checked guys.! Cheers from Hot WA [western australia].

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 February 2013 13:36)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Hello from cold middle England

I think you've answered your own question mate, when you said that carb cleaner helped for while. You need to take the carbs off and get them cleaned properly.Ditto fuel tank, filters, etc. Sounds like your problem. Good luck :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

and while the carbs

are off just check the inlet stubs for tiny little holes, of this vintage they do tend to get a bit on the thin side, also were the old plugs fairly clean on the out side , this model has rubber caps that fit over the plug cap, and with age they degrade and let water seep into the plug tunnel, ok when cold but once the engine is hot and running the water turns to steam and causes shitty running like you describe.

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

rough running

If you can, check the valve clearances.  

Reply to this Topic
oldzx10

Feb 13

oldzx10 says:

How do i get the stuck screws out pls??

Hi, thanks for your info. I have been waiting for a notification to let me know someone answered my post, but just thought i'd check it again to find 3 responses.

I had a back yard mechanic do the oil change for me and attempted to pull down the carbs to clean them out. He managed to get 1 bowl off to do a clean but couldn't get the other bowls off apparently as the screws were chewed out and stuck, suggested they need the heads cut off with a dremel and shafts tapped and screwed out [easyout]..haven't seen him since.! He did put fuel conditioner/cleaner in. Bike came back with 1/2 a tank of fuel from full and only 10 extra k's on the clock..figured he needed my fuel more than me:upset:  . It's only had about 100 k's on the bike since the rough running has started again, a matter of 3 weeks:mad:.

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

I reckon

they need the heads cut off with a dremel and shafts tapped and screwed out [easyout].

Reply to this Topic
oldzx10

Feb 13

oldzx10 says:

and while on the carbs..

I can completely understand water problems but we haven't seen rain in months and the bike's kept in a locked garage, chained to the floor and chained to my KTM. Takes ages to start and get running on full choke and you can hear it misfire more on the right.

I do agree that the inlet tubes may be dodgy and i will check them myself.
I can do basic stuff/servicing, so i will check it out myself 1st before taking it to a professional if i can't fix it. It was actually cold today for the 1st time this year, 26 degrees Celcius :ph43r: cheers.

Reply to this Topic
oldzx10

Feb 13

oldzx10 says:

in reply to rough running..

Hey, how ya doin'? The previous owner of the ZX was a mechanic apparently according to him. He only owned it for a couple of months and being a dirt bike rider and not having a road bike license, he thought he may just kill himself riding it, so took the opportunity to swap it for my dead KTM as he also had a dead KTM..sorry long drawn out story..anyway claims he re-shimmed the valves and did the clearances. This i would not know how to do or check..but that would be the process of elimination i guess to find out my problem.

Thanks for your info, cheers..:wink:

Reply to this Topic
oldzx10

Feb 13

oldzx10 says:

in reply to ..i reckon..

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

Not trying to get out of cleaning out the carbs properly and cutting corners..but..what would be the difference if i opted to access the back of the carbs, spray carby cleaner into the back of each one whilst running at higher revs for a few seconds as opposed to pulling each one down and thoroughly cleaning them?
That's what i figured the spray in carby/throttle body cleaner type of sprays were for?
Any info greatly appreciated, cheers..:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

having to have the choke

on is the dead giveaway, its the pilot jets that are blocked, the unleaded fuel goes off a lot quicker than the old four star variety, the amount of problems it causes are massive, if you back yard mechanic has got the carbs off turn them upside down the four screws holding the bowls on are made of shite, before you get the screw driver out, give the a few sharp raps on the head of the screw with possibly something around the same size as the screw head, i know it sounds brutal but the sharp rap does actually manage to shift the corrosion between thread on the screw and carb body it has always worked for me on many many occasions, much better than trying to chop screw heads off and all the damage that can cause, send me a personal message on where abouts you are in the country and ill send you my mobile number if you need any further help, or at the very least talk you through it.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

babyrocket....

he's in Western Australia (Perth ?)sounds like a job for kcmc.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices