Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Triumph Tiger Sport First Ride General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Video: Triumph Tiger Sport First Ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Triumph Tiger Sport First Ride

Last week senior road tester Michael Neeves traveled to the mountains outside Barcelona to try out Triumph's updated Tiger Sport. Check out the full review on the Bike Channel on Thursday 21st Feb at 9pm on Motors TV

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 February 2013 17:46)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Michael Neeves says the seat is lower but spec sheet says 830mm which isn't that low, not with my legs anyway, and I didn't see a low seat option on the list of options. And that silencer looks identical to the one on my Tiger 800 so that will help make it cheaper to produce, good thinking!

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

SatNavSteve

The Tiger Sport is 5mm lower at according to the specs.and an optional lower seat which is a further 20mm lower (which looks as hard as a plank) making it 810mm.The seat is supposed to be narrower makeing it easier and adjusting the suspension will also help.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Sprintman52!

Thanks for that. I've tried Tigers in the past and the seat was just way too high. In 2007, I wanted a Tiger 955 but again, the seat was way too high and altering the seating position was too complicated. (I'm 28" inside leg!) Narrowing the seat makes a big difference too as in the past, I've had seats lowered (like on my Blackbird) to no avail because the lower seat spread my legs more so I gained nothing. I don't think enough is done to help people with different leg lengths. If you bought a car and the seat didn't slide back and forward, you couldn't drive it. With a bike its worse because you need to hold the whole thing up safely. Not much fun if you are on tip toes, and manufacturers are losing sales when people will not buy for this reason, especially women.

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

Tiger Sport

Yep i know Steve i'm a  29" inside leg and had trouble with the Tiger 800 when i tried it,gets a bit dodgy if you stop on a slope.I'm knocking on a bit which dose'nt help either.If you get on the Forums(i'm sure you have) their is always someone on about Droping Suspensions and you can get Drop Links on Ebay,apparently you can set the bike at different levels to suit(even for Tiger 955).Not sure about Drop Links for the SPORT though.Worth having a sit on the Sport with the lower seat and the suspension adjusted to it's lowest if you can and are really interested.Then go from there

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
alien2

Aug 02

alien2 says:

Sounds like an improvement over the old 1050 model, but for an extra £400 I rather go for the KMT SMT.

Reply to this Topic
BREE

Mar 08

BREE says:

Tiger sport

Watched video and as expected some rather outlandish claims by MCN. Its the British version of the multistrada yes exactly the British version, but no real comparison to a multistrada. ( believe me ). Neevesy then claimed that it is no longer an adventure bike ( it never really was a competitive adventure bike ) but lo and behold it is now a sports tourer ( so no good at adventure bike mode, so lets change it to a sports tourer ). So what is the real problem with the Triumph Tiger Sport , No direction that's what. If Triumph were to build and market the bike to compete in a designated section rather than aim it into no mans land and hope for the best well who knows. But as it stands the Tiger will find it hard to compete against bikes like the Versys 1000, but more so to market it as a sports tourer it will bomb. There are so many fantastic sports tourers out there that not only look better but perform so much better, and price for price it will never compete with the Kawasaki Z1000 SX, looks better rides better loads better performance. So sorry MCN again to much biased reporting.

Reply to this Topic
Smelmoth

May 13

Smelmoth says:

Tiger Sport

My understading is that the Tiger 1050 was actually one of Triumph's better selling bikes. Accordingly if it is aimed at a no-man's land that appears to be where a large segment of bike consumers want to go. It is by common consensus much better looking than a Versys (not hard) and at this level that tends to matter. As for the Kwak Z1000SX, I have seen very few potential purchasers in the market for one considering the other. (Bike magazine's Kwak was a deeply compromised bike until they spent about £3k on it, from memory.) The Tiger Sport appears to be a pretty well sorted real world bike at a fairly hefty price (compared to the outgoing model) but one that compares quite well with it's immediate competition. It is a true real world all rounder in a way that even the SMT will find hard to emulate. (Better luggage, better fuel efficiency, lower insurance, less in yer face hooligan,  higher HP/torque- ( but heavier and lower top speed), lower price, more sales/service outlets...and British (which I suppose might put some people off )). I tested a Multi Strada the other day. Very fine bike but, for the price, it should be. There is about a £4k price difference between a new MST and a Tiger Sport with luggage and the Ducati will be more costly to run and insure. I was still tempted but in the real world couldn't justify it for what I do on my bike (commute in London, play around on South Eastern roads at weekends, occasional track days and go abroad once or twice a year with a pillion.) Pretty sure the Tiger has all of those bases fairly well covered. We shall see.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices