Skip to content

General Any news on why Kevin Ash died? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Any news on why Kevin Ash died?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

captaincardigan

Oct 04

Any news on why Kevin Ash died?

I was very saddened when the news came through that Kevin had died while testing the new BMW GSs in South Africa.

He was an intelligent campaigner for motorcycling and had a good handle on Govt and EU attempts to legislate us off the roads and is sorely missed.
At the time BMW would give no info on what had happened or even if he was riding at the time. 
Does anyone have any knowledge of what actually happened as he was a very experienced rider?
Thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 February 2013 09:30)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I haven't heard anything

as yet, try a google of it and let us know

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

i'd heard

it was a standard road traffic accident/collision with another vehicle. not his fault and nothing he could do about it!:upset:

don't quote or shout if thats wrong, tis the word on the net!

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

Possibly

kept quiet for the sake of his family?

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

or...

a criminal investigation.

Reply to this Topic
captaincardigan

Oct 04

Re Kevin Ash

Just found this on pistonheads:

<<I did a piece on Kevin for Bikerglory, he was incredibly positive and helpful from the start. Bg is investigative orientated and Kevin knew that mainstream bike journalism was at heart very conservative (which over the years provided an uncritical environment for smooth operators). Put it this way. Kevin got it. 

I've been in touch with contacts in SA. Kevin crashed off road, got up and was hit by the following rider. This probably isn't the time or place to get into a debate about the new GS's abilities off road but it does highlight the fact that this class of machine is essentially a sports tourer in adventure drag: no 21 inch front wheel, over 200 kilos and so on. BMW withdrew all the launch bikes for technical examination as one would expect and again, as one would expect, are not commenting. There will of course be an inquest. We're all vulnerable, irrespective of age or experience, and that is the bottom line. Kevin: http://www.bikerglory.com/?p=2898>>

Reply to this Topic
captaincardigan

Oct 04

Re Kevin Ash

And this from the local newspaper:

Pretty grim for the following rider as well who will have to live with this even if there was nothing he could do at the time.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

so very

sad, to me he was THEmost reasoned voice in motorcycling, clever, good with his hands and a typewriter, too many of us dont realise exactly what he contributed to biking over the years, a true legend.R.I.P

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices