Skip to content

Discuss This Sheene's greatest ever GP race was... General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Sheene's greatest ever GP race was...

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Sheene's greatest ever GP race was...

temp

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 February 2013 10:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

None of those

Kyalami 1984 i reckon, wet race, he got third after spending the first lap with a bike running on 3 before it cleared, he almost got Raymond Roche for 2nd on the final corner, awesome race, Eddie Lawson won it. 

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

two fingers...

Barry's 2 finger salute to KR during the 1979 Silverstone 'Marlbro' GP - awesome!

I remember watching it on Grandstand with my Grandad and that was it - hooked on bikes forever!

Hence my nickname 'Baz'   :)

Cheers.

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

zoobaz

Heh-heh, that was great Baz , i was just 16 when that race was on, immediately after i went out on my moped for a thrash .... 45mph to 50mph with the throttle cable at full stretch, halcyon days.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Silverstone '79, deffo. His showboating with Kenny Roberts was part of an awesome display by two of the world's best riders. I wore my King helmet (Barry Sheene replica) with pride on the way home, on my Sondel RD250 Yamaha. Happy days........... 

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

billy

Sondel RD .. blimey , forgot about them, did you have the whole kit , fairing and tank/seat unit ?

I think MCN have got the Kyalami date wrong as in 1983 Barry only finished 10th, it was 1984 he was on the rostrum as i put below.

Still difficult to beat the atmosphere that came accross from 79 @ Siverstone although the Kyalami race in 1984 came close, Barry had a 47 second deficit after the first lap due to a bike problem and ended up coming third less than a second behind Roche and 13 behind Lawson, i remember sitting on the edge of my chair as he closed Roche down in 2nd .... just amazing!  

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

@TrumpetTriple, yep, the full monty, allspeeds, rearsets, yellow speed block paint; a much more cohesive look than those god awful Dyson kits! Mind you, even now I'd love a Godier Genoud replica kwak, in green.....oh bugger, why am I poor!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Err?

I'll pick Spa because its the best track.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices