Skip to content

Discuss This The best biking decade was... General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > The best biking decade was...

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

The best biking decade was...

What was the heyday of biking? Was it the arrival of cheap machinery in the 1970s, the exotica of the 1980s, the screaming two-stroke 500s of the 1990s, the technology of the 2000s? Or is it the present day, with biking on the rise again?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 February 2013 10:43)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
sar02

Aug 10

sar02 says:

In the 1970,s i owned a 650cc  BSA Gold Flash, a BSA  M21 600cc side valve and a 175cc Bantam sport, lovely days when British could still be bought at the local motor cycle dealer. When Honda first showed up on the roads with the CB750/4 it was quite a novelty, i must admit to being impressed with the four silencers and the general appearance of the bike, big pity British motorcycle firms couldnt move with the times, Triumph had actualy developed a 4 cylinder bike but were to late for production, never mind, i now own a superb Yamaha FJR 1300 and wouldnt swop it for anything.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Got to be now

Watched Sheene in the 70's and fell in love with bikes.

Started riding in the 80,s and the adventure began.

The 90's was the Best i had a 916

the 2000's i had Children, as did most of my friends, they stopped riding, i didn't

Now i'm still riding, doesn't matter what, its just great to be on two wheels.Always live in the Now.

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Now!

I loved the 70s, with such a variety of machines, and the racing was a joy to watch and SMELL! But I have to say, modern bikes are an utter joy and thrill to ride, especially the RSV4. All the old B******s are still around and accepted by the young Guns, and vise-versa! So for me? Now is the best time.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rocker66

Jan 03

Rocker66 says:

Hey What happened to the 60s. The great days of the Rockers and the all night Cafes. For young riders around here places like the Ace Johnsons & the Busy Bee were the centre of our lives. Even smaller cafes like my local the Sunshine in Cheriton Nr Folkestone were busy and had some real characters. Unlike todays bikes which in the main are just customised with bolt on bits and paint jobs specials  (of which there many0 were just that with a mixture of engine & frame from different makes and plenty of one off parts. hardly any two were the same.

As for the racing you could go to Brands and see the top GP stars of the day on a regular basis

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

None of the above...

Can we have today’s bikes with 1930’s plods and magistrates?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Need to go a bit earlier, Piglet

The "police speed trap" was brought in with the Motor Car Act of 1903. By 1906, Hansard records their Lordships bemoaning coppers lurking in hedgerows and taxing passing motorists with no regard to whether the speed was actually appropriate for the circumstances or not. Plus ca change.

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

70's by an absolute miles!!!!!,I spent my last year at school in 69 dreaming about either a Boniville or a Spitfire MKIV speacial,that completely changed over night from a choice of a rattley push rod vertical twin,to either CB750,Triumph Trident,BSA Rocket 3 or a Kawasaki H1A.,I bought the H1A first then the CB750.

Ever ridden a bike with square block tread??? when Dunlop brought out the TT100 a tyre with tread on the sides!!!!!! F me it was like the second coming,a combination of bikes and tyres was a major leap in motorcycling not seen since,only the intro of the Fireblade comes close and thats 'Not Very'

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

Difficult one this

I was 16 in 1979 and started out on the road on an AP50 Suzuki, what brilliant times they were,i also worked at a wee motorcycle shop from 1976 when i were approaching 13, they did British and Italian bikes, the 70's were magical, the bikes were exciting, each manufacturer had a style and identity and most of the bikes i desired were from that period, however i also loved the 80's, how could a decade that introduced the GPz750 Turbo, GPz900, Suzuki RG500, GSXR750 and 1100, Yamaha FJ1100, FZ750 and FZR1000 along with the Honda VFR750, RC30 etc not be fantastic.

Some of us in our late 40's and 50's really did live through the best of biking times.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

decades

Early 90s, when bike manufacturers finally got bikes handling better than most people could ride them.

Forget the rockers of the 60s. That's the reason why bikers are still seen as 3rd class citizens, and treated the way we are.

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

70's

Mid 70's the bikes were getting better, and which handled, no cameras, few pot holes, and most importantly, empty roads. Got a few pictures from back then of a sunny Sunday afternoon and not one vehicle in sight on a main road which today is gridlocked most days. Heaven.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices