Skip to content

Discuss This The best biking decade was... General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > The best biking decade was...

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

The best biking decade was...

What was the heyday of biking? Was it the arrival of cheap machinery in the 1970s, the exotica of the 1980s, the screaming two-stroke 500s of the 1990s, the technology of the 2000s? Or is it the present day, with biking on the rise again?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 February 2013 10:43)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
billysollocks

Feb 09

While not wishing to get splinters in my chuff from sitting on the fence, surely each decade of biking has / had its own unique attractions?  From the pioneers, to the development of machinery and riding kit to the present day, it is a huge and varied range of accomplishments on show. Single cylinder belt drive, twins, multis, watercooling, turbos, cafe racers, board racers, choppers, streetfighters, race replicas, trailies - look at the sheer diversity on offer.

No one decade really stands out, but if I had to choose, it'd be the 70's - I passed my test in ahem harumph er yes, the music was shite, as were the fashions, but the bikes - Jota, Guzzi Le Mans, Z1, GT750, CB750, Munch Mammoth, Van Veen OCR, DKW 2000, RE5 etc and far less traffic and nasty plod  - what a time!

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Hey TrumpetTriple

Suzuki AP50 - now you're talking!

that was my first road bike - after various FS1e and Puch hybrids I used to ride round the local waste ground on...

I managed to blow the suzuki up, not difficult really so I changed the engine for a Suzuki A100 unit - visually similar and bolted in, needed a different exhaust (modded micron from a GP100), footpegs instead of pedals, forks from a Honda CB100 with the disk capiper, Suzuki X5 wheels (with a disk instead of drum), and a Yamaha Townmate swingarm (without the pedal attachments).

it was the quickest '50' of any of my mates bikes - and still registered as a '50'. used to get pulled by local plod reguarly but none of them noticed...

Plod in the early 1980s seemed a bit more lenient than today, however they probably had more important things to worry about - such as the miners strike.

in the 1980s the city pubs used to shut at 10:30pm, whereby the pubs on the outskirts used to close at 11pm, so you'd get a manic stream of drivers heading for the suburbs at about 10:35 to get last orders - one of them totaled poor old 'Ape Sh1t' (as it was nicknamed) one evening and didn't stop - so that was that for a year until I bought my CB250RS.... what a Honda icon!

Cheers,

Baz (looking on ebay for AP50 projects!)

Reply to this Topic
Boxer12

Jan 13

Boxer12 says:

1970s?

Now

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

I'd say now

Whilst there are some bikes that I mourn the loss of (RC45, Aprilia RS250, 1990s Triumph Thunderbird Sport) the range and choice of bikes and their quality is truly staggering and easily overlooked.

Yes, we now have too busy roads and speed cameras. We also have trackdays and more offroad opportunities, foreign jaunts, and so on. Golden age? Only just beginning

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

zoobaz

Brilliant stuff, mine had a 65cc big bore kit on supplied by the Feridax rep at the time, still only did 50mph but got there a touch quicker with a gnats more torque, RJH 157R, i wonder if it's still going.

RD250DX for me in 1980, blue one with cast wheels .. VLF 495S where are you now?

Reply to this Topic
mix4pix

Mar 07

mix4pix says:

Bike mag

Anyone else remember the article/test on the then new Suzuki RE5? ..... and as a way of a discount sir, we'll throw in a 'bullworker' Also makes me chuckle.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

defo the 80s

In the 80s everything changed.

So many influential bikes were developed in the 80s, no decade before or since has seen so much improvement.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

No 50's & 60's?

Plenty of folk still on the road who rode in those decades, there's a guy a know who was riding in the 40's who up until last year was still riding. I know someone who swears the late 50's/early 60's was the best (me dear old Nan who used to tour the country with my granddad on his Vincent Black Shadow). Little traffic, few regulations, wax jackets, cafe racers and rock'n'roll - sounds great! But personally I'd choose now. You can't really go wrong when buying a brand new bike (jury still out on Chinese machines though), plenty of different styles to suit your riding with performance and reliability to boot. Plus if you must go retro there are plenty of motors out there and lots of meets and rallies should you be so inclined.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

mix4pix

having a "Wankel" in them days was, erm, a bit risky.

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

Its got to be now. Bikes have got better with time, its just romantic nostalgia. I still have my old oil cooled gixer 750 which when I first bought it I thought it was the best bike in the world. But its a pig towards my recently bought zx 6r. And I recon the S1000RR is a few steps better.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices