Skip to content

Discuss This The best biking decade was... General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > The best biking decade was...

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

The best biking decade was...

What was the heyday of biking? Was it the arrival of cheap machinery in the 1970s, the exotica of the 1980s, the screaming two-stroke 500s of the 1990s, the technology of the 2000s? Or is it the present day, with biking on the rise again?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 February 2013 10:43)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Mods and Rockers???

Enough already – no one under the age of 60 or so knows or cares what a “Mod” or a “Rocker” is.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

70's for me!

Not just because its when I started riding but you had the Honda 750-4s, (yes I know they came out in 69 but did you know anyone who had one then?) Suzuki 750 water cooled 2 strokes, Norton Commandos, Tridents, RE5's, the likes of Dunstalls, Moto Martins, Tony Foales,XS750 & 850s, Gold Wings etc etc. All these bikes raised the game in motorcycling and started a technology rush that has carried on since. One thing that hasn't changed much is the basic frame layout (Yam GTS1000 excepted) as we are still on telescopic forks, single or twin shock rear ends and the tank in front of us over the engine, mostly! Who knows when the next big steps in bike design will come, if ever?

Reply to this Topic
Toecutter71

Jun 10

Toecutter71 says:

Best decade was

By my humble opinion, almost every decade that you put on your vote poll has some very interesting moments in the technological development of the motorcycle, nineties may have been most boring , I personally voted for the eighties mainly due to the appearance of GSX750R Suzuki, motorcycles that not only changed the way that categorize motorcycles, especially what it before the gixxer was sport motorcycles and after. and with it also creates a super bike class of bikes. This new decade starting from 2010 will be marked by a massive introduction of electronics in a big way, if it's from 2000 to 2010 was more direction only with some particular brands, mostly by Italian, by the end of the decade all manufacturers will have to have ABS as mandatory equipment, and traction control can be .. but applying more electronics and electronic safety device for driver mark this decade I am sure.

Reply to this Topic
GFYALL

Dec 09

GFYALL says:

70's were terrible years

Read Jupiter's Travels to know what real biking in the 70's was like. Terrible workmanship, constant breaking down, wars all over the place, terrible economy, three day weeks etc... I can't imagine anyone in their right mind having any nostalgia for the rubbish technology, disorganisation and hideous styles of those bleak years. Give me the Thatcherite 80's any day. Loadsamoney, good times, bashing miners and unions, and Argentinians, great bikes (not British as they were dead by then).

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

Depends what your definition of "best" was ? - best bikes , better roads , laws , speed limits , comradship , or whatever . I have ridden since the early 60s and still love every minute , all the family at some time have rode bikes , a older brother has retired , but a younger one ,rides  nearly as much as me . I ride all year round , including my outfit in the snow , as I have no car . Of  course we were much more free in the 60s without  speed guns , radar traps and the police around here had  Morris Minors &  Velo  200 cc Noddy bikes . Much less traffic on the roads , I sometimes visited Matlock Bath ,setting off at  7.30 or 8.00 a.m. on Sunday morning and probably passed  two or three cars on the way . A "t " shirt  under the leather jacket , boots & gloves but never bothered with a helmet till  early  1973  when the helmet law came in . My brother owned a  Vincent  Shadow  which he rode with " L " plates on till his test was passed  in the 50s ,and he will tell you that was the best era . I  think the reliability of modern bikes is great  , but being a mechanic has never bothered me , we still had fun on rubbish you would not now ride to the corner shop .

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices