Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Problems with Cornering General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Problems with Cornering

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Problems with Cornering

"I'm a new rider and have a problem with cornering. I seem to stiffen up when cornering and do not have the confidence to lean - I keep thinking the bike will slip over or I'll completely lose the rear. This wasn't helped by an actual slide (but luckily I didn't come off!) when it was icy. This means that...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 February 2013 10:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Gerards

Dec 12

Gerards says:

Its Natural

As a new rider it is natural to feel uneasy about leaning the bike over at first. Our brain tells us we should be upright so its a bit of a defence mechanism. The secret is learning to relax and trust you will be fine because not relaxing makes the problem even worse. It sounds like you haven't been helped much with the weather conditions because to be fair even experienced riders don't relish riding in icy conditions. I think a day spent at somewhere like the Ron Haslam Race School in better conditions might help you feel safer and understand the lean potential a bike really has. Oh I forgot to mention, you should make sure your bike is OK too. Check the tyres, wheel alligment etc as a problem here might be an issue for you too.

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

You need to regain/improve your confidence in the bike's ability. The best way to do this would be at a track-based training day (NOT a regular track day) where you can gradually explore the bike's limits in a safe, controlled environment, with expert guidance, and will learn what your bike and the tyres are capable of. Once you see how far below the 'limit' the bike is operating on the road, you will naturally feel able to increase your corner speed and lean angle. Once you have confidence, the relaxation will come naturally. Another tip: after every corner, consciously relax yourself: roll your shoulders, bend your arms, take a deep breath, that way you won't compound your tension and will approach each corner newly relaxed.

Reply to this Topic
AcurateBob

Feb 13

AcurateBob says:

What he said...

The thing I have go through my mind is that if "i take care of my bike, it will take care of  me". As long as I trust my bike to go around the corners I usually wont have an issure with cornering, if you trust yourself to hold onto the bike so it can do its job, then you will gradually lean a little more each time until you know thats it.

As Gerards said, get yourself into an riding school, check your tyres, check throttle control too, (as you may lose the rear if a sudden change of accelleration is used mid corner, or too heavy brakes to the front, all this comes back to is my saying " IF I take care of my bike, it WILL take care of me"

I ride in all waether, with having no car, so I know the feeling of winter ice build up, bruised for it too, especially in the first year, but dont let this get in the way of your riding, beat this then laugh at it!

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Park it...

...and get a car.

Reply to this Topic
bigbashbonanza

Mar 07

Go out with some biker mates

Preferable with more experience and confidence than you. Follow them, understand counter steering and use it. Also, look at the vanishing point (google it as i cant explain it - just know it!). Its a brilliant tool for fast riding on unfamiliar roads and learn to trust your tyres. If their decent, they'll out grip your confidence everyday of the week, unless its icy ;0) Good luck bud.

Reply to this Topic
IsraelsRSV

Feb 11

IsraelsRSV says:

building up

Start by leaning just your head out over the corner, and of course look where you want to go, not at where you think your going. You'd be amazed just how much traction you have in most weather conditions. And in the dry a bike can go round corners faster than you can, so the confidence just grows and grows,,, until your John McGuiness (only kiddin, their is only 1 John McGuiness)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

This hurts to say but...

SuperMario is correct. Give it up it aint for you.

Reply to this Topic
Histy

Sep 10

Histy says:

Confidence

Get yourself on an advanced riding course and get some personal coaching to boost your confidence its worth spending £130 or so, its going to be a fun time and also benefit you forever. Why weight when you could be cornering like a dream tomorrow. Chris - KK Rider Training - KK Rider Training

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
sniper100

May 04

sniper100 says:

Rethink

You need to go back to basics, you have scared yourself to the degree you are fearful of the bike and coming off. You need to do some motocross, even those tiny minibikes, that go round a mini indoor circuit and trust me they are amazing fun, you can kneedown and slide without the high speeds that hurt you or the bike, I did it and must have fell off thirty times without so much as a scratch or a sprain, move onto something like motocross, small engined bikes at first will help. You will learn bike control and at the same time build confidence in your own and the bikes ability. You need to feel what the bike is doing. Above all you need to learn to relax again. That will come with confidence. Then when you feel happier book a trackday, go into novice group seek the instructors explain what has happened, tell them the truth no-one will think less of you trust me. Most novices that ask for help get more admiration than the loon who thinks they are fast. I have seen riders being taught that were very very slow going round the track. You are not alone. Babysteps again but sometimes we all have to go back before we can go forward. Rather that than you give up as it will bug you your whole life. Good Luck my friend...

Reply to this Topic
bertieboy20

Feb 13

bertieboy20 says:

Buy a Harley Davidson then you won't be tempted to thrash the bike round corners.Probably save your life as well.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices