Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Problems with Cornering General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Problems with Cornering

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Problems with Cornering

"I'm a new rider and have a problem with cornering. I seem to stiffen up when cornering and do not have the confidence to lean - I keep thinking the bike will slip over or I'll completely lose the rear. This wasn't helped by an actual slide (but luckily I didn't come off!) when it was icy. This means that...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 February 2013 10:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Left Pond

Here in the US, I would suggest in order: MSF ERC and then Lee Parks Total Control ARC-1 and ARC-2 classes. The Total Control classes are for high-speed riding techniques (except for some where a low-speed section is added at the very end), but the drills are run in a parking lot in 2nd gear, which is much less intimidating than doing a corner on a big track. Or find a track class that runs on a go-cart or paved portion of a Super-Moto track for the same reason.

One lesson best learned off the public roads is that others than noise and vibration, nothing really bad happens when you drag a peg in a corner. However, panicking and chopping the throttle when dragging a peg on the road may run you wide into oncoming traffic, off the road, or worst of all, high-side you and the bike.

Reply to this Topic
SStyloF

Oct 10

SStyloF says:

1 step back for 2 forward

Youre making it worse by stiffening up. ie the more you stiff and upright you are, the more difficult it will be to get around the corner. and the more you dont get around the corner, the more you stiffen up... see where this is going??

Youre then probably not following the general rule of thumb "look where you want to go" and it gets worse.

you need to get back your confidence and understand your bike.You need to get yourself away from icy roads, other vehicles. in short you need to goto a riding school that is preferably on a closed circuit where everyone is going in the same direction and theres not ice and diesel on the surface.

Reply to this Topic
Fomancu

Jul 08

Fomancu says:

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

get your bike checked out

get someone to have a good check of your bike, i've driven 2 different bikes in the distant past that had very dodgy handling (1 of them almost killed me) investigated the bike, wheels in line, bearing ok, blah blah, only to find in both cases that the rear tyre had been fitted with the directional arrows pointing the wrong way.

Reply to this Topic
ZMC888

Nov 09

ZMC888 says:

Find somewhere empty and practice. Learn how to slow speed knee-down or get the tire worn right across and get rid of the strips on the edge. Easy to learn on your own. When you gain confidence try faster corners. Tip: Check your tire pressures are good first.

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

cornering

What a coincidence I have just been on a cornering course having similar problems like yourself but mine was right hand turns. Basically its all about counter steering and more counter steering and more counter steering

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Get yourself

on a large empty car park one evening and 'play'. Gently 'nudge' the bars one way, then the other and experience how this tilts / steers the bike. Ride in circles / figure of eights (you've recently done this) and try to hit that point where it starts to become second nature. This then allows you to concentrate on traffic awareness while the body sorts out the steering. Practice practice practice - oh and breathe :-)

Reply to this Topic
formotorbikes

Jan 11

Twist of the Wrist

I recommend that you get a copy of Twist of the Wrist, which is available on DVD or as a book. It's built upon the philosophy of Keith Code, who runs California Superbike School (which you could attend in the UK, if you have £400 to spare). Twist of the Wrist teaches the art of cornering, building your confidence slowly, using tried and tested methods. There are usually used DVDs/books on eBay...

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

cornering.

What are you doing with a bike if you're afraid to go around corners? Sell your bike to someone who can appreciate it and get yourself a car, it'll be more your thing.

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

cornering

Take no notice of bikerpete51 he is talking albeit hopefully tongue in cheek absolute rubbish. Keep practicing and get some training and yes you will use the bike to its full potential

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices