Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Problems with Cornering General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Problems with Cornering

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Problems with Cornering

"I'm a new rider and have a problem with cornering. I seem to stiffen up when cornering and do not have the confidence to lean - I keep thinking the bike will slip over or I'll completely lose the rear. This wasn't helped by an actual slide (but luckily I didn't come off!) when it was icy. This means that...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 February 2013 10:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

if you keep tensing up you will defenitly fall off. as you are not looking where you are going .

your confidance will come slowly dont try to hard, when the weather gets better and the sun comes out ( hopefully) the roads are dry and warm thats the time to be more adventures.

Remember you are in control of the bike not the bike in control of you

If you are still afraid then go on an advanced coarse with expert tuition.

good luck and enjoy your bike

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Buy sticky race type tyres

They might be more expensive but they`l give you loads of confidence OH  and make sure you get the tyre pressures spot on !

Reply to this Topic
GFYALL

Dec 09

GFYALL says:

Don't give up

Every single new rider with any brains (those without don't survive long) is prudent as to cornering limits, especially in winter. Forget the rubbish about slick tyres - last thing in the world you want in rainy England. Forget the utter rubbish about looking where you go - Counter-steering the handlebars steers the bike, nothing else. Forget body english and other cr@p as a beginner - no leg out necessary. Push on the right bar to turn right, push on the left bar to turn left, there's nothing much else to do. Look at http://www.msgroup.org for countless explanations and forum answers and tips for everyone new to biking. You are not alone, it's great that you are cautious and good luck and enjoy learning. Just beware that most people on MCN like SNEV (aka common as muck or SNOT) are complete morons. Taking bad advice will get you killed.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

GFYALL SAYS......

"just beware that most people on MCN  like Snev ( aka common as muck or SNOT) are complete morons."....... you missed out the"Cunt" this time.

Reply to this Topic
GFYALL

Dec 09

GFYALL says:

SNEV SAYS

SNEV is a cunt. On second thoughts that's doing cunts a disservice. Many of us have had a lot of pleasure with cunts, unlike when reading SNEV.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

thanks mate

I'm touched by your kind words . We must catch up sometime , just make sure you polish your HiViz helmet so that I can recognise you.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

get some training

I think a few things need to be learnt two different ways. The first is to understand how a motorcycle functions as a machine, you can do this by buying books like ‘a twist of the wrist’ or listening to instruction on a track day. For example. the fact you are slowing down ridiculously on a corner only makes the matters worse as you should be applying slight power to the rear wheel to compensate for the power naturally lost when a bike goes around a corner. The second thing that needs to be learnt is how to apply the practice of going around a corner on the actual road (with its camber, limited visibility, micro-climates, oncoming vehicles etc.) that CANT be learnt on a trackday (i.e. using the visual limit-point for speed in and out of a corner, reading the corner using hedgerows etc, being in the correct position on the corner for best visibility and least machine loading) for this you really need to join the IAM or Rospa. I know the IAM quite often do free assessed rides, and the Police do paid assessed rides and workshops with the Bikesafe scheme. On either you will learn more in an hour being observed and getting feedback, than you can riding months or maybe even years ‘practicing’ on the road. Riding great corners is the #1 best thing about biking, it would be nuts not to learn how to do them well.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I see a pattern here. Bring on the RcRaven.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ snev -

A full 21 laughing smiley salute? Wow!

Reply to this Topic
aaustin2911

May 10

aaustin2911 says:

Dont Panic - Anyone can come off in cornering

Don't give up - just get practice and read some books / instruction as suggested

10 years on bike from 50cc to 1043cc Kawk 1000 - and on saturday in my street 20 feet down the road and bang first corner on its side - patch of oil I did not spot or cold tyres - still not sure which. Cracked ribs and blooded knee will heal -  Just pick yourself up and keep on biking otheriwse you will just lose all confidance.

Would also suggest an airbag jacket or top - mine blew and saved my helmet, neck and spine from even noticing the fall - And remember the crash bungs - total bike damage 1 wing mirror and some worn Evotech bungs (engine and swing arm)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices