Skip to content

Ask an Expert VFR800 Not starting HELP! Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > VFR800 Not starting HELP!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

dannyp91

Feb 13

dannyp91 says:

VFR800 Not starting HELP!

Morning Guys,

just got a 2000 Honda VFR800, ran it the last week or 2 and it seemed fine. Come to it this morning and it will not start.

it is trying, i.e. firing from the battery, sounds strong. turned off lights etc.

are there any basic things I can do? The Fi light is not showing, I can hear the injector's wining when I turn it on.

Full tank of fuel.

I have also taken it off side stand and checked that.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance

Just to add, the starter motor seems fine, really strong, doesnt bog down or anything, which makes me think battery is fine.

Ive had it before and the battery just grinds to a halt but it is very strong and loud when its trying to start.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 February 2013 11:01)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda VFR 800 2000

Hi Dannyp91 and welcome to the site:smile

You have probably just fouled the plugs,take the two rear cylinder ones out, spray some easy start down both plug holes the spin it over with the plugs still out for about 15-20 seconds to dry the cylinders,spray some carb cleaner or easy start on the plugs to help dry them out or better still  put two new ones in.You can try starting it now,but if it still doesn't want to start it could need a full set of spark plugs(the two front cylinders not so easy to get at).If the bike does run,then take it for a good long ride to dry everything out,and when you get back leave the engine running until the fan starts to know you have obtained maximum temperature before turning off. Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
dannyp91

Feb 13

dannyp91 says:

Thanks

:smileThanks for the advice. Tried this this morning and its having none of it.i can see the plugs are fouled up. Quite black. But when resting them on the block and turning over the engine I cant see a spark so that would make sense why it isnt starting but I dont understand how 2 sparks can go in a matter of hours. Unless there is a spark and I cant see it. In which case it must be something else. 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

black plugs

Are you talking sooty plugs with no oil?

I would check for a clear air intake,

Choke lever if fitted (early F.I. models :unsure:),

Choke operation if worked by the coolant (after a coolant change),

The F.I. system should sort out the mixture after starting using temp/oxygen sensors.

Have you done any work on the bike since owning it? 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle