You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Bandit gear changes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Goulders

Dec 12

Goulders says:

Bandit gear changes

I've got a 2008 gsf650 bandit with only 16k on the clock. Just looking for some advice with regard to gear changes. When changing from 1st to 2nd and to a lesser extent 2nd to 3rd there is good clunk as the gear engages. If I do a WOT take off the clunk is far worse.  Is this just the style of gearbox or is there a better way to change gears. Only been riding for 6 months so it may just be me. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 February 2013 15:53)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

Suzuki gearbox

Suzi gearboxes are normally very good, HOWEVER, your chain adjustment/lubrication can and will have an adverse effect on a good gearchange, as will the engine oil itself. There is usually more of a clunk when going from 1st to 2nd, because you're going through neutral. You do not say if  your clutch is dragging at all, as this will cause the clunk. If you're just pootling along, and go to 2nd almost as soon as the wheels are rolling, does it clunk then? And just how bad is the clunk??

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Aye

I'd check chain adjustment, lubrication and if it's rusting in this weather.

You should also oil the linkages from the gear lever itself.

Reply to this Topic
Goulders

Dec 12

Goulders says:

Further infi

The clutch isn't dragging however the chain does seem loose to me. I did ask the garage when I bought it a few months ago and they said it was ok although I still thought it wasn't right but as I don't know much about motorcycles I assumed they were right. Basically, at low speeds I get a good vibration from the chain. Higher speeds are ok. The chain also knocks against the top of the arm especially if the chain gets a bit dry.

If I am just pootling along it does go in gear with no clunk and is generally smoother. 
Hope that assists? 

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

chain...

What condition is the chain in? Put the bike on its stand, and kneel on the ground on the chain side of the back wheel. Left, in your case. If you get hold of a chain link, at the 3 o'clock position on the rear sprocket, will the link pull far away from the sprocket??  If it'll lift away enough to see the bottom of the sprocket teeth, then it's time for a new chain/sprocket set. Your handbook or manual should tell how much slack should be in the chain, usually measured in the bottom run of the chain.

Reply to this Topic
Goulders

Dec 12

Goulders says:

Chain

The chain looks ok (to my very untrained eye). Will give it a pull later on and see how much it comes away. Will let you know. Cheers for the help. 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

WOT

What`s a WOT take off?:blink:.

Also has the engine oil been renewed lately?

Reply to this Topic
Goulders

Dec 12

Goulders says:

WOT

Wide Open Throttle!! Not sure about oil but will be changing it just to be sure. It should have been done when I bought it but I doubt it. 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Gears

From a cold start does your bike jolt forwards when selecting 1st gear?

Same again does your bike jolt forwards in 1st gear with engine warmed up?

What`s the clutch lever position when it bites?

1/4 way,1/2 way 3/4 way OUT?  

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hmmmm

WOT launching of any motorcycle will give undue stress to the clutch, gearbox, and cycle components.

It won't be long before your asking for advice on how to replace your gearbox and or the chain as it has snapped.

Go back to using the bike as it was intended to be used you'll find it will work as it should do and may even last longer.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Bandit

I did hundreds of WOT throttle launches on my Bandit 600 with no problems whatsoever (although I was hard on the clutches) and even drag raced it for 2 seasons with Nitrous on it. I assume the liquid cooled 650 is just as bullet proof. The oil/air cooled 650 IS just as bullet proof.

Anyhoo, it sounds as if your chain needs some attention.

Do you use the clutch when changing up through the gears, or do you do it clutchless??

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices