You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > ACF 50 and chains

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

ACF 50 and chains

Is there any issue using ACF50 to try and eliminate chain rust before lubricating? I've been using WD40 but it's still coming back and I'm wondering if the ACF50 might provide a protective layer as well as stopping the rust?

Cheers,

Phil

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 February 2013 16:23)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

aye

it's only surface rust - would gear oil eliminate it then? I just don't want it getting to the point where it's going to cause problems and cost me another fortune on a chain.

Reply to this Topic
banditsprint

Oct 08

banditsprint says:

oil

you could use Scottoil with a brush. ACF50 won't remove the rust that's on there and won't give much lubrication. gear oil or old engine oil will.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Cool

I've got some scottoil left over from my old scottoiler so I'll have a go at it with that. I just want to get rid of the rust rather than lubing over it.

Am planning an oil change so I'll keep some of the old oil.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

ACF-50

My chain's side plates often looks rusty at this time of the year, but after washing it's obvious it's not rust, just dirt.  Don't know why the chain accumulates reddish dirt...

I use a Scottoiler.  When the chain is filthy, and looks rusty, I work the chain with a paintbrush brush and rag dampened with ACF-50 - softens and lifts the dirt and leaves it's magic anti-corrosion properties.  I probably only do that every 3-4k miles.  Present chain approaching 40,000 miles and rollers beginning to show first signs of wear.

ACF-50 is supposed to be compatible with all rubbers and plastics - would you want anything that wasn't sprayed as a mist into airframes, over electronics, mechanics and hydraulics?  Should be safe on those O-rings.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Yeh

it's the rollers as well and I'm pretty confident it's rust. Would hope my lube would have anti rust properties but I suppose when you don't have a girlfriend for a while... hang on, I'm drifting off topic...

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Red stuff.

It probably IS rust but only light, surface rust which comes off easily. If you're using an in-situ device like a Scottoiler (I think you've mentioned Tutoro in the past) it won't put oil on the face plates, only the hinges (depending on positioning). 90w gear oil which is brushed on would, in my experience, keep the surface rust away; in fact it's all you need.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Good memory

I did have a TUTORO but got rid of it as I'm so very shite and forgot to turn it off several times leaving an oil soaked rear tyre. The tipping point came when the bastard BMW service I had which did so many things wrong also put it back incorrectly leaving it to get destroyed by the chain so I had to remove it.

Think I'll strip everything off with chain cleaner, treat it with a little ACF50 to stop any rust I didn't get with the cleaner and then as my tin of lube is almost empty I'll switch to gear oil or use old oil depending on whether I get round to doing the change any time soon.

Cheers all for the advice. It's much appreciated.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

My chain

shows surface rust surprisingly frequently - I usually use a small wire brush to clean the rust up, then clean the chain with paraffin and either chain lube or clean engine oil as lube.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices