Skip to content

Ask an Expert Bike won't start & possible problems with gears? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Bike won't start & possible problems with gears?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

kgupta

Feb 13

kgupta says:

Bike won't start & possible problems with gears?

Hello everyone!

First let me introduce myself.  My name is Kanav and i'm a new rider as of two weeks ago.  I'm on a CBR 125 in London and have been loving the ride since I started (although not for very long).  At the moment I'm running on a cbt, but before the year's out i'm probably going to get my big bike test done and hopefully jump onto something meatier!  My technical knowledge of bikes is second to none right now but hopefully that will come with time.

As I mentioned, I bought the bike two weeks ago.  It's a CBR 125, 2010 plate, its done just over 7200 on the clock.  I bought it second hand from a used bike store, and therefore I've got 1 month's warranty on it.

After riding it almost everyday for the past two weeks, this morning it decides to not start on me.  I put the key in, turn it, neutral light comes on fine, I push the ignition, and at first it sounds as though its trying to do something but then it falls short.  The second time I hit the ignition I hear nothing but a continuous clicking sound which seems to be coming from underneath the seat.  So i'm guessing what i'm asking is what could be the problem and should I take it back to where I bought it from to get fixed or isn't it worth the hassle and just attempt to sort it myself?

Secondly, I've been having an issue with the gears (I think).  As i run up through the gears, and as I pass fourth gear, when i then try to run down them in one go, for example when approaching a stop, it sometimes doesn't let me go passed 4/5th gear without me letting the clutch go and then bringing it in again to continue going down.  This is quite annoying when i'm coming up to a traffic light from a bit of speed (as much as a 125 will go).  This also occurs sometimes when i'm in the lower gears and it won't let me engage first unless i let the clutch go in neutral and then pull it back in to engage it separately.  Is this a safety feature or is this a problem with the bike?

I've lost a little faith in the bike already, and am also wondering if there's anything else I should get checked out before the warranty runs out in two weeks?

Thank you all a bunch in advance and for reading.

Regards,
Kanav

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 February 2013 23:31)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

No start

Welcome Kanav,it`s under warranty,ask the dealer to pick it up and sort it,also ask for a courtesy bike for work.

Gearbox,it sounds like too low throttle revs when changing down,try blipping the revs or not shutting off fully.Also expect the traffic lights to change.

Reply to this Topic
kgupta

Feb 13

kgupta says:

No start

Thanks jaffa,

I bought it second hand from a used bike dealer, not directly from an authorised honda dealer... are they still likely to give me a replacement bike and pick it up?

As for the gears, when I come down the gears one by one then it seems fine, I just wondered if i could do what I do in cars which is block down from 5th to 1st while holding the clutch inbetween till it rolls to a stop... If the bike is meant to stop me going down too many gears at a time then that's fine, i'll just get used to it i guess.

Thanks so much for your speedy reply...

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

No start

Contact the dealer and tell him the bike won`t start and you need one for work.

Car gearboxes are synchromesh type and totally different to bikes.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I'd say

your battery is flat. Don't know what mileage you do in a day, but that starter button draws a fair bit of juice (more than you'd think), and if you're doing a low mileage it might not be enough to charge up again. Also, cold winter weather is hard on batteries. That said, as it's under warranty, it might be as well to get your dealer to check it properly (your battery may be on it's way out) and let them sort it.

Not totally sure on your gear issues - as you've only been riding 2 weeks, inexperience / technique may be a possibility here, although I second Jaffa's advice of anticipating the lights (slower approach and a gear or 2 down) - that way you don't need to change down so many gears at once.

Block changing can be done but engine speed / road speed matching is far more critical - if it's wrong, it can de-stabilise the bike with unpleasant results...

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bike issues

As Jaffa has mentioned , get the bike back to the dealer and let him sort the starting problem out. 

Changing from 5th to 1st in one go shows little mechanical sympathy for your bike and also a lack of planing in your riding. You should work you way down the gears using engine braking to suppliment your brakes.  

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

CBR125

Gearbox sounds normal for a bike.

And your battery is flat.

Reply to this Topic
kgupta

Feb 13

kgupta says:

Thanks

thanks guys! Thanks a bunch!

i'm gonna call the dealer today and get them to sort it.

thanks again for your help everyone! i'll be sure to get better at the gearing as a result of your help.

Regards
Kanav

Reply to this Topic
justaname

Feb 13

justaname says:

one by one on the gears

:ph43r: go through the gears one at a time, releasing the clutch as you do so. and as others say, check your battery. also buy yourself some tools, valtage tester and a manual for your bike. you'll get there soon enough. haappy riding

Reply to this Topic
kgupta

Feb 13

kgupta says:

Thanks

Thanks everyone for their replies...

I'm getting the battery changed by the guy when i go to him.

even he said that the gears are fine and that i just need to learn how to go through them properly and to anticipate.  I think he did something cos they do feel a little different but i seem to have gotten a lot better.

Thanks again!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Enjoy your bike,keep the chain lubed and check your tyres.

Remember that everybody out there is trying to get you.:shock:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices