Skip to content

Ask an Expert Twin or 4 cyl? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Twin or 4 cyl?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

vect

Oct 12

vect says:

Twin or 4 cyl?

Hello all,

I'm looking for my first big bike soon and trying to decide if a 600/650cc Twin or 4 cylinder is going to be better.

I understand that I4s tend to be higher reving and deliver the power at the top end, and that twins have lots of torque at low revs. But when it comes to sitting in traffic, filtering, motorways, overtaking etc. what differences do you actually see?

I'm going to be using the bike for commuting to work around the Nottingham ring road and for taking weekends away with friends around the country. So I'll be having a mix of traffic and cruising, and of course tackling the local B roads. 

Which config is going to give me the best ride?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 February 2013 14:03)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Twin or Four

It is very much a personal choice.  It is not only the type of riding you that will dictate which is better but also the type of rider that you are.  Some riding styles can favor one or the other.  My advice would be to try a couple of examples of each and see which machines suit you best.

Or have one of each :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

Twins

For day to day riding twins have a lot of advantages- better fuel economy, cheaper to run, more usable power and torque at legal speeds (which in the real world is where the vast majority of everyday riding occurs),  narrower for filtering through traffic and normally weigh less. I went from a 1200K5 Bandit to a 650 Vstrom and think the Vstrom is more fun to ride. I'd also have a go the the ER6 and Versys, a brilliant engine for mixed touring/commuting use..

Ultimately there isn't a right or wrong answer, it's entirely subjective.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

How about a Triple?

and get the best of both worlds. i saw a pre reg Street triple for £5999 today. bargain

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Or indeed

a single Duke 690 or SMR, killer in town and can boogie on the B's :smile

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Multi

for distance work,less gear changing,can handle todays crap fuel better.Bigger the better,my gsx 1400 can slow to 20 mph and pull in top gear.:tongue:

Also single cylinders are horse work for distance/commuting but fun on short spins.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
vect

Oct 12

vect says:

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll having a go on a 650 bandit or an er-6 and see what they feel like. If there's one around I'll have cheeky go on a triple ;)

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

First big bike

are you talking DAS, or restricted licence?

Reply to this Topic
vect

Oct 12

vect says:

DAS. Just past my theory last night. Hoping to get my full licence before mid April (Need to move house first!).

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices