You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > camping

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

theantsta

Feb 13

theantsta says:

camping

hi just wondering if anyone knows i want to start touring different places on my bike but want to keep costs down so would prefer to camp is it legal to just stoppe somwhere and camp? i dnt mind using camp sites but some nights when ure tired n just want to stop and dnt want hassle of paying can u jus camp?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 February 2013 14:28)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

Stealth Camping

Officially probably not in England but hypothetically speaking if you wanted to do it I'd try the following.....

Find a spot that is not private land (can be a mission in England) before dusk.

Find a spot that is not directly visible from the road. Park up and have a brew. Wait for it to get dark and see if anybody turns up.

Once it's dark put your tent up, leave at first light, leave no rubbish or even evidence that you have stayed there and you should be home dry.

You can do this over most of mainland Europe with no problem and some countries have a right to camp wild as long as you are not next to residential property (eg: Scotland and Norway) but can be more challenging in England. If in doubt and if there are farm buildings nearby ask permission.

In France on tolls the service stations are great for free camping, as are the free areas (Aires) between major service stations. You will find some amazing spots but once in a while you will be unlucky then have to make a judgement call between camping somewhere less then ideal or looking for an official site or a B&B.

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

Aires

I didn't think you were allowed to actually camp on those Aires sections.  If you're on the road, when you get to a town, look for 'camping municiple' signs, just about everywhere has one.

Reply to this Topic
theantsta

Feb 13

theantsta says:

thanks

thanks for getting back to me :D i feel its human right to camp anyway why should u have to pay to camp i beleive anyway if ure tired then u shud b allowed to sleep as long as ure not hurting anyone whats the problem :D

Reply to this Topic
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

It's in the Highway Code!

I'm thinking of carrying a copy!

80: Driving when you are tired greatly increases your accident risk. To minimise this risk

•avoid undertaking long journeys between midnight and 6am, when natural alertness is at a minimum
•plan your journey to take sufficient breaks. A minimum break of at least 15 minutes after every two hours of driving is recommended
•if you feel at all sleepy, stop in a safe place.

Also in France although "camping au savage" is not strictly legal, being polite and using common sense will get you a long way. Try remembering a phrase for use with Gendarmes, "Je suis tres desolee monsieur mais je suis tres fatigue" etc..perhaps also telling them how many kilometers you have ridden in the last 24hrs and emphasising the fact that you will be gone by dawn.and in my experience you will invariably  get a friendly response.

Another thing that works for me is to spend a couple of nights stealth camping then maybe a campsite on the third night for use of showers and washing clothes.

ETA: I wouldn't bother trying this in Netherlands you may well get fined. I've done it Germany but not recommended and I'd say Austria isn't great for off piste camping either.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
theantsta

Feb 13

theantsta says:

yea

yea i wudnt become a hobo tramp tht dnt wash :D jus thinkin bout keepin costs down so  every now n then camp at site or even bnb

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices