Skip to content

Where to Ride bristol to glasgow (advice needed) Meets, routes and tours (UK)

You are in... Forums > Where to Ride > Meets, routes and tours (UK) > bristol to glasgow (advice needed)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

SadPanda1993

Sep 12

SadPanda1993 says:

bristol to glasgow (advice needed)

Hi everyone

its been my aim to ride up to scotland and visit my family up there some time after easter. So i wanted to ask the wisdom of anyone who can reccomend good roads on the way up there. the rules are no motorways and to spread it over 2-3 days. so any good palces to stay and advuice on  tthe best roads would be much apreciated

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 February 2013 12:38)

Post a message in Meets, routes and tours (UK)

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

Liverpool-Carlisle

I went to Glasgow last year from Newbury. Hoofed it on M'way to Liverpool, down to the Pierhead then followed the coast through Southport to Lancaster and up into the Lakes. Through Kendal, ferry over Windemere, then NW over Wrynose and Hardknott passes to Whitehaven, A roads to Carlisle then hoofed it again on M'way to Glasgow because the best roads IMHO are to the north of Glasgow so I preferred to take the hit on the motorway rather than lose precious days.In hindsight the Lakes section was brilliant, the roads to Carlisle merely OK and the coastal section from Liverpool is a bit boring, I'd be tempted to miss this bit out and spend more time in the Lakes or getting lost north of Carlisle.

From Bristol to Liverpool I would have thought Wye Valley to Monmouth then Hereford and A49 North is the obvious route.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Think John's got it right there,

lot of good roads in Monmouthshire, Herefordshire and Shropshire, fairly direct, but with enough bends and good scenery to keep anyone happy :smile You could of course head towards Ledbury, Malvern and Worcester too, skirting through edge of Shrops/West Midlands, more built up areas though beyond there, into Staffs. Don't know what A38 is like these days, out of Bristol and up towards Birmingham, not been on it for years. I'm a bit hazy about the Lancashire area, might be best to skirt the edge of the Peak District, east of Manchester, and up to the Lakes and Fells, if you do find yourself on the motorway (M6) Tebay services is one of the nicest you'll find, local produced food, nice views outside, ponds, campsite, farm shop (have a  look at website beforehand, if only they were all more like that one :smile) Think I might go off motorway in Scotland if it was me, although some of it rolls up and down the hills, the better roads are north of Glasgow though as John says, Enjoy your trip :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices