Skip to content

Ask an Expert DAS passed - middleweight bike for commute and track? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > DAS passed - middleweight bike for commute and track?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

kingclueless

Feb 13

kingclueless says:

DAS passed - middleweight bike for commute and track?

Hello all, first time posting as I just got my license the other day passing my mod 2 riding in the snow!

That however was really easy compared to working out which bike I should buy. Totally confused by the options and any advice would be great.

Budget: I can manage around £4000 a year including bike and insurance payment.

Style: Sports tourer

Annual mileage: 60 miles a day commute to work means 14000 miles a year! Note this killing resale value of possible purchase.

Riding experience: Ridden XJ6 and CBF600 for a few days.

So given my requirements it seems a CBR600F would be a good fit. I agree (without having ridden one) but I have always like the Triumph Street Triple.

Will the fairing on the CBR make a big difference to which I should buy?

Should I buy new (0% interest on CBR atm) knowing that the mileage on the bike will probably lower the resale value in a couple of years when I'll prob want a different bike?

Or should buy a used Street Triple and worry less about any depreciation?

totally confused, any help def appreciated :)

king_clueless

PS I live just around the corner from Brands Hatch. Def planning on going down there with either bike.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 February 2013 12:51)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Usual advice

don't forget to think about the insurance.

Beware of fully-faired bikes at this stage: newbies drop bikes (it's something that almost everyone does at some time or another), and fairings are expensive. If you're doing a long (esp motorway) commute in all weathers, the weather protection is handy.

At 14k miles per year, consider service costs (and tyres) carefully; if you're handy with a spanner, you'll be able to negate some of the labour charges by DIY-ing. Also with a long commute, make sure your bike is comfortable - get some test rides in.

At this stage, I would buy used partly again because of the drop risk - if it's got a few marks already, it'll be less gutting than banging up a new 'un.

Many "budget" bikes (Hornets and Fazers spring to mind first, there will be others) are powered by de-tuned sportsbike motors anyhow (so should be quite able to hold their own on track too).

Reply to this Topic
harringtonpw

Feb 04

harringtonpw says:

Middleweights

To be fair your £4k budget will get you a lot, but depending on your age/location, upto £1k of this could be gobbled by insurance, so make sure you know what this will be in advance of purchase.

A CBR600F could be a good option, however these are seriously fast bikes and it may be best making the move up slowly (I practice what I preach and didn't ride a 600 until 3yrs experience, albeit many moons ago). If you’re determined this is the path for you though, something like this would tick the boxes, it also has crash bobbins which minimize any drop damage - I suggest that if buying faired you definitely install crash bobbins (R&G are pricey but prob the best) – they won’t prevent all damage but will generally save you a fortune/many tears.

You don't say whether you enjoyed the XJ6 or CBF6 – as these would probably be more suited to build you experience on. Alternatively something pitched between these and CBR6 is the Suzuki GSX650F. This one has crash bobbins and a double bubble screen (useful for motorway commutes) or this is more standard. If looks are your thing, this looks much more like a sportsbike than the other bikes you’ve tried, does 10mpg more than the CBR6 and will be cheaper to insure. Read MCN’s review on it here

Whatever you go for, good luck!

Reply to this Topic
kingclueless

Feb 13

kingclueless says:

many thanks

Hi guys

Really hearing you AdieR about the test rides. I've got some many things going through my mind about which bike/new/used test rides def the way forward.

I was worried I would struggle to get one having only just passed but a dealer offered me a test ride on the Triumph Street Triple R this weekend - as you can imagine this week is now moving very slowly :P

Really like that CBRF harringtonpw - really nice one that and not too far from me either.

I'm waying up new vs old and tbh my wife keeps telling me to buy new. I'm not sure why but she's keen that nothing goes wrong with it. She's not up to speed on Big H and their reliability :)

Anyway guys I'll see how I get on this weekend.

I should have said I really enjoyed riding both the XJ6 and CBF. Felt very comfortable on them so let's see if I scare myself on the Street Triple :S

Thanks again

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices