You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > GPZ500 out of breath

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Samar

Aug 12

Samar says:

GPZ500 out of breath

Hi, I'm not very skilled when it comes to maintenance. I left my GPZ for service recently hoping that it will help with some of the problems I had in last few weeks. Basically when I reach 6000rpm bike starts to choke and loses power. I think that this is down to filters but may be wrong.

I paid £130 for service but it didn't include changing air filter and spark plugs (which in my opinion is pretty basic and should be covered), anyway bike did over 7k miles since I bought it and this was first service. 
What would be your guess? If you think air filter and spark plugs will help I can do it myself, if it's something more complicated I will take it back to service. Thanks for any advice

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 February 2013 14:00)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

GPZ Woes

Firstly, did you advise the dealer of these issues before it went in for a service?  If you did then go back and complain that they were not addressed.  If not then they were probably not looking for the problem.  With a bill of £130 I would imagine that you have only had a basic service and that would not normally include air filter and plug changes. (When were they last changed?)  The symptom you described could be down to a dirty air filter and it is certainly worth checking / replacing as required.  I would also have a look at your plugs just for good measure. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Samar

Aug 12

Samar says:

GPZ500

Naively I did not mention about problems when I left bike with them, (I simply assumed they will replace air filter and spark plugs) Oh well, at least I have something to do this weekend :smile 

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

How did you get on?

It could be a blocked fuel filter or a partially blocked main jet. It would really have helped if you'd told the dealer what to look for.....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle