You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Neutral Switch Problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

yamahadon2

Feb 13

yamahadon2 says:

Neutral Switch Problem

The neutral indicator switch on my '78 XT500 didn't work (light stayed on constantly), so I bought a new switch.  Now I've got the opposite problem -- the light never comes on.  I tested the new switch -- it works fine.

I'm left with the conclusion that the switch's spring-loaded electrical contact isn't touching whatever transmission part (shift fork?) that moves into position when the bike's in neutral and grounds the switch to make the light come on.

Any ideas?  I've tried backing the switch out of its threads -- and screwing the switch farther into the transmission (by removing the copper washer) -- but neither makes any difference.  

Any ideas?     

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 February 2013 19:50)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

switch

This rings a bell and you`ve answered your own question,kcmc will have more idea about the recess in the box for the switch to work.Selector drum?????:unsure: 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha XT 500 1978

Hi Yamahadon2

Jeez jaffa 1978:shock:,OK I'll give it a lash then,i would suggest that the original neutral switch was damaged staying grounded permanently keeping the light on,and as you already suspect the neutral light post on the selector drum has gone west so is not contacting with the switch,so the light stays on(they should both be spring loaded ball ended items).Good Luck

Oops,spot the,er,not deliberate mistake:blink: i meant to say (so the light wont light)been a long day,and a couple of well deserved red wines,sorry(red face)  

KCMC:tongue:

KCMC:tongue: 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

switch

I`ve only dealt with proximity switches,looking at a yam one it looks like when it`s relaxed it`s contacting (earthing) as in neutral,when the ball end is lifted as in gear it`s breaking the contact.Screwing the switch in further will have more chance of keeping the light off. 

If this is the case then it should be set in 1st gear and screwed in until the light goes out and hopefully there`s a recess for it to go in when in neutral :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:   

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Jeez you can tell i had a couple

i even put KCMC:tongue: twice?

Anyway its been some time since i have seen inside a 1978 XT 500 but if am right(might not be?)the contact is made between the ball end of the switch(spring loaded) and the ball end of the spring loaded part that screws into the back of the selector drum?so when the contact is made the light comes on.So if the switch is working(remove switch and with the single earth wire still connected press the ball end in,the light should light)then the contact spring loaded ball end in the selector drum is seize in,damaged or missing?think that's it:winkie:

Good Luck

KC:tongue:  

Reply to this Topic
yamahadon2

Feb 13

yamahadon2 says:

Neutral Switch

When I peered into the hole where the neutral switch screws into crankcase, all I saw was a plain piece of metal in the transmission that moves into place and apparently touches (grounds) the switch when the bike is in gear, thereby lighting the instrument light .  I can't see all that well through a 1/2" hole, but doesn't look like anything is missing or broken in there. 

I'm going to try to measure the distance to that piece of metal when the bike's in gear -- I suspect that it's not touching the switch for some reason (wear?).   

Reply to this Topic
yamahadon2

Feb 13

yamahadon2 says:

Neutral Switch (cont.)

OK, now I'm getting confused.  Correction:  I think the internal transmission part touches the switch and lights the light when the bike is in neutral (vs. touching it when the bike's in gear and turning the light off).  I'll check again when I get a chance -- there's a foot of snow on the ground here, and it's cold in the garage!  Thanks again, guys, for trying to help!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

switch

I`m confused as well,you may have the wrong length switch :unsure:,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=neutral+switch+xt500&rt=nc

two lengths on e-bay,also it looks like the light should go out when the ball end is lifted :unsure:,meaning it`s in contact (earthed) until it`s screwed fully into position.:unsure: 

Reply to this Topic
yamahadon2

Feb 13

yamahadon2 says:

Neutral Switch

According to the Yamaha parts list, I've got the right switch.  When it warms up a little (not supposed to get above freezing tomorrow . . . ) , I'll do a little more sleuthing and try to come up with some more clues to help solve this mystery!  Thanks again!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle