Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati used bike guide General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Ducati used bike guide

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Ducati used bike guide

The Panigale is not only the most advanced superbike Ducati have ever made, it also marks a move away from a piece of technology that has become almost as synonymous with Ducati as the desmo valve system. Yep, by turning its back on belt driven cams and instead opting to run cam chains, the Panigale became the first V-twin from Bologna...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 February 2013 13:44)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
azicat

Feb 13

azicat says:

I think a buyer's guide should mention any common issues and problems with the bikes being discussed. Many of the earlier models have design and build quality issues - most of which can be rectified by the owner but involve a bit of running around. Be aware of some of the reported problems and look for a used bike that's had a fussy owner who has sorted all of these problems out already. I used to have an early 996 and I'll use this as an example. The stock biposto had a final drive which was much too high for street (and even circuit) use, apparently to help it pass noise legislation tests. A larger rear sprocket is a must-have. There is well documented surging at 3500rpm due to problems with the dual fuel injectors - rectified with an ECU remap to single injector use only. The Veglia instrumentation can go wonky, presumably from vibration / water ingress / shoddy build quality. Clutch slave cylinders can fail due to poor sealing and are worth replacing with an aftermarket item anyway to fix the extremely heavy action. Clutch baskets notch quickly (as with all dry clutch Ducatis) leading to accelerated clutch plate wear.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Missing

Hardly a  Ducati buyers guide when so many of their excellent bikes are missing...?

There's more to life than plastic missiles MCN

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

In the real world

Azicat you are much more informative,you would never make a Bike Journalist

Reply to this Topic
neophyte

Apr 07

neophyte says:

Hardly a guide, more a random list with tech spec history and  pics. Very poor.

Reply to this Topic
triday12

Jun 06

triday12 says:

I think you're meant to buy the paper for more info !!!!

Reply to this Topic
viaciofano

Nov 04

viaciofano says:

i cant agree with any faults mentioned as other bikes fail too.  there are common issues on the 916 but the good thing is that there are so many sites and articles on the bikes. good websites and blogs.

The common one that i wrote on my blog how to fix was about the charging system. the alternator wires burn out, i fitted a mosfat regulator rectifer which cured that.

there is a fueling issue on the 916 bp that i bought but it was because termiognis were fitted. a friend helped out with modifying the chip.

the drain pipe by the petrol cap blocks up and cause issues. this caused water to leak into the tank as it had no where to drain.

the instruments started misbehaving, this was down to a failed earth lead and the charging system.

the belts need replacing every two years. i have been putting renault clio belts which do not have the ducati logo on them for the past 6 years.

even with the faults. it still makes me smile when i start it up, listen to the v twin termiogni noise. it picks up so quick and handles.

45mpg with claimed 165 mph to speed.

mine has done just over 41000 miles so far

vinnychoff

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices