You are in... Forums > General > General > Lidl and Aldi bike gear

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Lidl and Aldi bike gear

is in again soon, keep an eye on their websites, usually seems a handy budget option. Lidl's boots look to be more suited to cruiser riders than sports bikes though :lol: 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 February 2013 08:33)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

if its

like my local Aldi they only seem to have 1 or 2 in stock, so go early, and never have size 9 or 10' s boots

.......:mellow:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Thinsulate/kevlar gloves...

15 quid.

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

am I right in thinking

Pay cheap buy twice ?

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

O.K. then....

2 pairs of thinsulate/kevlar gloves 30 quid....:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

No

not with bike gear. You buy cheap and if it's a shite helmet you might never buy again.

Honestly, there are certain things you shouldn't buy from aldi or lidl and one is safety gear. My dad got some kevlar safety gloves from Aldi. I decided to test them. They were meant for sawing.

I shot at them and they just embedded themselves in the polystyrene I put behind them. I lightly attacked it with a well used and not sharpened bread knife and it went straight through with no effort.

For food Aldi and Lidl are fine, especially if you enjoy the delicate taste of horse. For safety equipment I'd not buy anything that's not a big name unless it has been put through proper lab testing by a magazine. Even then I'm sceptical so I like my kit to be well tested.

I'd rather spend £200 on a pair of gloves and have just adequate protection than feel good having thought I've got a bargain at £20 and find they split open, destroying my hands on the road and my ability to work. Armour is easy to put in to kit and it's easy to say it's 1000D material. What's hard and takes time and money is seams and you can't test these in a shop. Even Knox screwed up the seams on recent gloves and they know better.

What often happens is that the company promises one thing and the factory decides to do something else and pocket the difference - see Frank Thomas's Titanium range where the titanium armour rusted because they were scammed by the factory in China.

The reason you pay extra isn't just for the brand, it's because the brand needs a reputation and therefore will take kit off the line and test it to destruction to ensure it's good. If it were me, I'd not do that - I'd take it off the shop shelves and test it.

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

You

Won't be getting any then Phil?

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Aldi

I bought some weird neoprene type gloves from them the other year. 

They are brilliant for summer riding. And they look ok with my t-shirt and shorts. :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Phil..... :0

i shot at them and they just embedded themselves in the polystyrene I put behind them. I lightly attacked it with a well used and not sharpened bread knife and it went straight through with no effort......  :ph43r::ph43r::ph43r:   :lol:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Phil.....

I didn't buy any either....because I thought I might never wear my stupidly overpriced Dianese ones again, if I did.Cost very rarely reflects quality in motorcycle gear,it usually reflects where the designers perceive themselves to be in the fashion Hierarchy.You only have to read the Ride test results to see that there is a lot of overpriced gear out there....even if they haven't got the balls to say so in their summing up...p.s. They are selling bike socks at under 3 quid a pair too,but if you prefer to pay 25 quid for alpinestars be my guest.:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

defo not

buying any gear from them then if it isn't bullet proof ffs!! 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices