Skip to content

Discuss This Filippo Preziosi resigns from Ducati General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Filippo Preziosi resigns from Ducati

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Filippo Preziosi resigns from Ducati

Filippo Preziosi has resigned from Ducati before he was due to start his new role as Director of R&D, citing poor health. Preziosi was the engineer in charge of the development of the Desmosedici MotoGP machine throughout the successful Casey Stoner era and also during the disastrous Valentino Rossi period. The Ducati statement reads in full: Borgo Panigale, (Bologna, Italy) 28 February 2013...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 February 2013 17:36)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
FLATTRACKER

Dec 04

FLATTRACKER says:

neilf

Was meant as a flip comment, not some in depth technical appraisal of either engine !

Cheers 

Reply to this Topic
hurdyfurdy

Jul 12

hurdyfurdy says:

Not his fault?

I always got the impression from what Jerry Burgess and Valentino Rossi said that they felt the problem lay with the Ducati bosses not providing the budget rather than Prezioso not having any new ideas. JB inparticular often complained that things the race team asked the factory to make never appeared. It looks to me like Prezioso was the fall guy at ducati and decided he'd had enough. I wait with interest to hear what Rossi says about it. He will be sadly missed.

Reply to this Topic
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

Spondo...

V twin??? I know what you mean though!!

Reply to this Topic
crawsue

Aug 09

crawsue says:

Apologies, Spondo,

your absolutely correct about the 2013 layout at HRC, I hadn't seen the Spalding evidence. JB did rubbish the percieved knowledge from the get-go with the Rossi project,he was quite happy with 90 degrees.

Reply to this Topic
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

Preziosi

was and is a victim of the Rossi eram,2 years od abysmal dismal faiure, when Ducati took a giant step bacwards, thanks to the numerous "improvements" that were demanded by Rossi. The ditching of the "CF" chassis being the biggest along with putting a heavier crank in the motor another one, and all the other "improvements" that were made, and at the end of the day? Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!! Ducati now have a mountain to climb to try and undo what has been done over the last 2 years and move ahead with new technlogy again, not being guided down a dead end, one way street! Unfortunately, it would appear that all this has resulted in Preziosi deciding to step down. With Rsssi, it would appear that, the tail was wagging the dog, and we know that doesn't work. Let's hope Ducati can now move on from this and do what it does best,develop and build race winning bikes!!! Ciao

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Most likely a decision borne of frustration and being basically worn out by being expected to come up with answers to problems craeted by others. Let's hope he feels able to return to a similar role with another team in the future. A talented guy indeed!

Reply to this Topic
simplebystander

Oct 10

I really find Eddy998's blind faith in Ducati staggering - there is so much evidence to the fact that the Ducati MotoGP bike is severely flawed even prior to Rossi's arrival - even the often cited exception, Stoner, struggled with it in the final few seasons he had on it - front end issues causing crashes and poor results. I must admit, I'm not a hardcore Ducati fan, and whilst I think they do produce some of the most beautiful bikes out there, I am dubious that their racing success in WSB has nothing to do with the capacity advantage that they have historically enjoyed. I hope they return to form soon though, but the fact remains that Ducati, not Rossi, Stoner et al, developed their MotoGP bike and it currently is significantly behind it's Japanese counterparts and has been for years.

Reply to this Topic
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

Rossi

"simplebystander", was the instigator of all the "improvements" to the Desmo, as far as I am aware. Ducati, unfortunately, seemed to forget that they were the dog and Rossi the tail and in the role reversal, Rossi was giving the orders as to what was required to make the Desmo "competitive" well, at least in his eyes or hands! As we all know, nothing that he "improved" seems to have served for anything and the result now is that the development of the Desmo is 2 years behind! For them now, to catch up, is going to be a long hard slog. Maybe, Preziosi decided that he had had enough, after 2 years of being told what to do by Rossi to "develop" the bike and thought it wsa best to call it a day. Blind faith was placed in Rossi when it shouldn't have been and Ducati have to accept that they were partially at fault in accepting and allowing Rossi to take over instead of Ducati following their proven method of factory development and innovation. Rossi must be the biggest single handed failure that Ducati has had. At least although Melandri didn't do anything either, he wasn't dictating to Ducati what to do and not do. Rossi's "development" of the Desmo is the reason, I reckon that Preziosi has called it a day! Ciao

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Better Idea

Ducati needs to take a page from the Harley-Davidson-Buell playbook, where through lobbying they were allow to run the modern (co-developed with and built by Rotax) 1125cc Helicon V-twin in AMA Supersport against 600cc Japanese inline-fours.  ;)

Reply to this Topic
simplebystander

Oct 10

Ducati sent Melandri to a psychiatrist as they felt his poor performances where related to him, rather than trying to develop the bike that suited his riding style. In fairness, Casey was performing well on the bike at the time, but Casey has a very particular riding style that allowed him to get the best out of it but even then he was heading backwards as the years progressed - eventually jumping ship to Honda. Ducati's 'proven method of factory development and innovation' was leading them further and further away from the front. Maybe if they had listened more to Melandri way back then, a guy with a more traditional riding style, they would have realised they needed to fix the understeer issue that existed even then and wouldn't have found themselves as far behind as they currently are. As for Ducati being told what to do by Rossi for the past two years - don't be silly - Rossi and Hayden just provide the feedback - highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the package that they are given for the engineers who then use that to develop the bike. The switch to the Aluminium beam frame would have been engineer lead as the best way to develop the bike into a stronger package with the resources they have. Ducati dug themselves this hole (in my opinion due to a lack of resource and some latent arrogance from 2007) let's just hope they can get out of it sooner rather than later.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices