You are in... Forums > General > General > Anybody know about

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

Anybody know about

running rich. My bike is running rich at the moment and im not to sure best way to go about it. I have been told that it will need new needles. Looking back on the bikes history it has not always had the standard exhaust on. When that exhaust was put on and put on right, mapped and stuff  would it now be the standard exhaust that is causing the rich running? Not sure about tuning and stuff so advice is appreciated thankyou.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 March 2013 09:05)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

rich

What bike/year/mileage/modifications?

A non standard exhaust(can) usually less baffles/silencers will need a richer mixture. 

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi gaz

The way I read your post it seems like you had an aftermarket can on and the bike was tuned to run with this, you now have a standard can fitted. If this is the case then your engine will indeed be running rich, its all to do with the way your engine is allowed to 'breathe' when put in simple terms.

Reply to this Topic
gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

sorry mate

96 gsxr 750 srad. 22000 miles. KandN air filter that was on when i bought it. At some point in its life it has had a yoshimura exhuast on it. that has now been changed back to the standard one.

Reply to this Topic
gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

smidget you read it right

what i was thinking was would another exhaust like that being put back on balance out the richness or would it still need remapping

. thanks guys

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi again

In the light of your last post there is no point in leaving the KnN air filter in as the engine will not be able to shift the air fuel mix efficiently with the standard end can in place.

Therefore you would be far better off putting the standard air filter back in. You'll find the fuel economy improve a little and not to sure you will notice the power / torque difference on the road.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi yet again

Replace the old aftermarket end can with one the same as was removed and you should get away without having the bike remapped.

Reply to this Topic
gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

thanks smidget.

I was thinking of replacing the standard exhaust with an aftermarket one. Would doing this balance out the rich mixture. Thanks guys

Reply to this Topic
gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

thanks guys.

I know a little bit about exhausts and things like that. I kind of just thinking logically. I f it has been mapped for one aftermarket exhaust then a standard one gets put on with all that stuff inside it is gonna make a difference. Just wanting to make sure i was thinking along the right lines or was i thinking way off. |From what you have said i was thinking kind of right.:smile

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

see

my last post.

Reply to this Topic
gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

thanks alot

smidget and jaffa.