You are in... Forums > General > General > Anybody know about

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

Anybody know about

running rich. My bike is running rich at the moment and im not to sure best way to go about it. I have been told that it will need new needles. Looking back on the bikes history it has not always had the standard exhaust on. When that exhaust was put on and put on right, mapped and stuff  would it now be the standard exhaust that is causing the rich running? Not sure about tuning and stuff so advice is appreciated thankyou.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 March 2013 09:05)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Kit

You may have dynajet kit fitted,

http://pdq1.com/part.php?PartID=1827&MakeID=31&ModelID=194&YearID=248&Year=

with a free flow can?

Also check your (srad) air intakes for nests:shock:

Reply to this Topic
gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

it has been on the dyno

and it spiked pretty bad to indicate running rich. The place i took it to said needles are worn. Im inclined to get another pipe on it and check it again. what would you guys do

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Carb set up

There's 2 ways to richen the mixture on a carbed bike and these are either by changing the main jets or adjusting the air fuel ratio screw.

On the bottom of your carbs near were they are connected to the engine inlet rubbers you should find a recessed hole on each carb with a screw at the bottom of that recessed hole. That is the air fuel ratio screw (sometimes called the mixture screw). You need to check they've not been altered. I'm not sure what they're set to on a GSXR750 SRAD so please check with a dealer but 2 1/2 turns out from fully in is generally in the right ball park. Make sure they're set to the correct number of turns out from fully in and see what the bikes like then.

If they were set correctly or it doesn't solve the problem completely then you need to take the carbs of to look at what main jets have been fitted and what the needle position is. To do this you'll need to drain the carbs , take the bottom off and look at the main brass insert on the bottom. It will have a number engraved on it and that is the jet size. It relates to the size of the hole through the middle of the jet. There is a needle that lowers on to it from the top part of the carb and that needle can be set a various different heights (circlip positions on the top of the needles). You'll need to set the jets and needle positions back to factory settings which might mean you need to buy original main jets.

I would reccommend getting a Haynes manual first as it will have all the data re mixture screw position, jet sizes and needle position.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

spondonste

Is correct as the bike is carb, remap only on injected models.

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

gaz if

you need a decent can to try it with ive got one here, just pm me you can have it on an indefinate if need be.

Reply to this Topic
gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

Thankyou Guys

for replys. Babyrocket i have pmd you.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

re...

K and N filter....I should have thought, that like mine the K and N would not need any alterations to bike and if anything would make the mixture leaner rather than richer.Have you looked inside the airbox for blockages as suggested? also are you getting an F1 light on the dash.If the bike had an oxygen sensor in the original pipe and this as not been replaced or wired out, that might cause a rich mixture.

Reply to this Topic
gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

not getting any warning lights

and no blockages in the airbox or tubes. And the air filter is clean.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

that's O.K. then...

carry on as spondonste and others say. assume it's 'mechanical' rather than electrical.I'm guessing that it's not major, like flames coming out of the exhaust.:hmmm:

Reply to this Topic
gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

lol

no nothing like that.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle