Skip to content

Discuss This Death crash policewoman resigns General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Death crash policewoman resigns

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Death crash policewoman resigns

A policewoman who caused a crash that killed a motorcyclist while talking on her phone has resigned. Collette Carpenter stepped down after the Crown Prosecution Services’ decision not to charge her was reported in the national press. Carpenter was talking on her phone when she pulled into the path of motorcyclist David Bartholomew, 54, an inquest heard. But the CPS...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 March 2013 16:17)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
billysollocks

Feb 09

@Preunit, my apologies, that's one that I missed. Surely the technology exists which could block the use of any such devices in vehicles? There's an "app" for every other fucking inane subject you can think of, so why not? I truly think that CPS have taken "Justice is blind" to a whole new level with this decision. Whatever happened to a JURY deciding whether or not the fat slapper is guilty?

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Ban them worldwide!

Inconclusive evidence. Pah!

Best to stand down and save the Force from embarrassment. Basiclly, you're sacked for blatant stupidity but we've done our best to defend you. You are useless. Not only did you not uphold the values of protecting the public and serving them, you actually killed one of them by using your mobile phone while driving. A law that was introduced to stop the very situation you caused Colette Carpenter, whether it was in your lap or being held in your hand next to your ear.

This really needs to send out a message. MOBILE PHONES KILL. Ban them  and re-introduce phone boxes. Let's face it, at best mobile phones are a nuisnace and an intrusion of privacy, at worst you can kill people by using them. Look at the twats walking down the road texting people. They are morons. They look like brainwashed twats and they are brainwashed twats.

People that use them while driving should be taken aside and shot. Police Force members that use them and kill people should be taken out and shot in front of the bereaved family members.

Nobody needs one. We've been brainwashed into thinking we must be in contact with everyone 24 hrs a day. We've just been convinced they are a necessity when they are a waste of time and money and this case, a waste of someones life.

Too strong? Think about it. How many extra hours of work do you have to do because you are constantly available. When the phone rings or a txt message appears you have become conditioned to an immediate response. Think about your life and, more importantly, think about other peoples.

Switch it off or better still BAN THEM!

Reply to this Topic
brevav2

Feb 09

brevav2 says:

kl595 Spot on

Well said kl595, couldnt agree more, all i would add is there is a law for the 'Establishment', (in this case the Police), and a law for us, Carpenter has comitted an offence that demands a jail setence, these people freqently wriggle out of the justice system, it has to stop, Dont rely on the Corrupt politicians, they are a part of the problem.

Reply to this Topic
Factual

Feb 13

Factual says:

@billysollocks - I take your point.

Reply to this Topic
greenturbobob

Nov 05

Ok here goes!

I fully agree she should face the court and their ruling. But I would like to point out one thing, CPS aren't the Police or vice versa. The fact that the Police complied a file against her and presented it to the CPS shows that the Police had every intention of prosecuting her, but the CPS, which as i say isn't the Police or even influenced by them, chose otherwise. A complaint against the CPS might be worth a shot. They have to face up to scrutiny as well.

Reply to this Topic
Patsfalco

Sep 12

Patsfalco says:

Ban them?

Jeez, that's some statement.

Ban make-up too, as we've all seen drivers putting that on when on the move. ban sat-nav. Ban kids from cars, what with parents checking out what's happening in the back of the car rather than on the road around them...

The point is that people are duty bound to drive with due care and attention. We might see phones as the most obvious issue, but it's not  the focus point. It's people who are driving and see it as a secondary task on their 'what-i-am-thinking -about-now' list. cars, especially in comparison to bikes, are fitted with lots of kit, and there are almost infinite other things that you can bring with you.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

@Billysocks: I don't think there's any doubt that the vast majority of the police faithfully and correctly serve the public in frequently difficult positions. However, I don't think that's the issue here. Good, sensible, coppers are great and we all appreciate them. It's when a copper does something wrong that the problem arises. The police internal investigations seem to hamper the work of the crown prosecution service with police lawyers getting involved very early on in a way that is not just "for the prosecution" or "for the defence" but is also "for the protection of the image of the police force". This end up with a situation where prosecuting a police officer becomes very hard as the whole process ends up running interference in front of the CPS. So what seems to end up happening is internal investigations and "police image requirements" kind of muddy up the whole thing making prosecuting an officer harder. The biggest problem with this imaging and internal auditing is is means that far from improving the public image of the police, it causes a long term hardening in public attitude with the overriding impression being the police protect their own in situations where a normal member of the public would have been arrested and charged.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Oh, shush

The biker's family have nothing but praise for the investigating officers.  They kept them informed and repeatedly pressed the CPS to prosecute

If you're not going to acquiant yourself with the basic facts of this case before going off on one, do kindly zip it.  Don't worry, there will be another one along in a minute that will more than justify criticism of closing ranks.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

@Rogerborg: I am well aware of the facts in this case and the good policing involved. If you re-read my comment, you'll find that what I'm actually talking about is the public perception built up over many cases of the difficulty of prosecuting policemen. However, I changed some of what I was writing when I was writing it, and the sentence "However I don't think that's the issue here" is now out of context which I agree makes it read wrongly. The "Good, sensible, coppers are great and we all appreciate them." was meant to refer to the police in this case. (That's the problem to typing something, editing it a bit and not fully re-reading it). Apologies over the bad editing..

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

@Titosfuneral, I am not disagreeing with what you say for one moment. The issue here does seem to be an inability on the part of the CPS to grow a pair, put the matter in front of a Court, and let 12 normal people listen to facts and come to a decision. Are they protecting the pleece? I don't know, to be truthful. The one thing which comes out of all of this unholy mess is that, potentially, a guilty party walks away from killing another human being, thereby depriving their family and friends of the chance to live a normal  happy life, with no form of redress. That is not justice. I have no doubt that the investigators did indeed press for a prosecution, because they take a great deal of time and effort to establish the FACTS of what went on. The CPS seem unable to grasp such facts.

To quote one of their favourite phrases, "res ipsa loquitor".   

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices