You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Advice needed

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

chelseadog

Mar 13

chelseadog says:

Advice needed

My trusty VFR750FV (was) has me puzzled.On leaving my garage I put the bike in gear with the side stand down and the engine cut out as it should however on trying to start it sounded like the starter was stuck as buzzing was coming from the starter solenoid. Rocked the bike to and fro, no good. I have removed the starter motor, tested it and it is OK. I tried turning the starter motor pinion inside the case and this seems OK, goes free one way and solid the other. I have tried another solenoid and it is the same.(buzzing) I have removed the clutch cover and checked all the teeth on the gear wheels, all are OK, the starter clutch is OK and you can turn the engine over OK by the bolt on the end of the starter clutch assembly just what can the problem be, has anyone had this problem before? Baffled

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 March 2013 16:33)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

battery

What is the battery voltage  1, without the engine running ?, 2, when you press the start button ? and thirdly (hopefully) with the engine running?  Are all the battery leads clean and tight, BOTH ENDS? 

Reply to this Topic
chelseadog

Mar 13

chelseadog says:

VFR will not start after try to put it in gear with the side stand down.

Hi, thanks for the reply, the battery is showing 12.58 v all the teminals are clean,I have since tried a battery booster pack direct onto the starter motor terminal and it will not turn ther engine over. It is getting more mysterious by the day, I have also used my generator running 12v to my battery and the solenoid just buzzes even with 2 spark plugs out to ease compression. I must admit the engine seems tight to turn over by using the bolt on the starter clutch that is used for timing but I have had the starter clutch off and it is fine as is the starter motor, it now points to the engine being too tight for the starter motor to start it but on the day the problem started it went first time (as always) and was OK until I put it in gear with the side stand down and it cut out as it should and now I have the same problem as then. I cannot think what else could cause the engine to be tight to turn over except for the starter motor and clutch etc but all is OK, a real puzzle indeed. :upset:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda VFR 750 FV 1997?

Hi Chelseadag and welcome to the site :smile

As you say this does sound a bit odd?,over the years i have replaced many starter clutches on all the VFR range of bikes,it is a quite common problem with the ageing VFR's 750's and 400's,i have a theory,a lot of these problems have been caused by previous or even currant owners using car oils with the friction additives which are known to destroy starter clutches.So saying all that i would be giving the starter clutch another hard look to see if any of the surfaces were the sprags(rollers) run have lifted any of the case hardened surfaces or even started cutting a grove? also check the sprag rollers for surfaces wear.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

P.S. have you tried bypassing the start solenoid by breaching the two live posts?if not give it a try it could just be a duff relay?

Reply to this Topic
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

KCMC +1

Has there been any strange noises from the starter clutch in the recent past? Any whiny or grindy noises?

Reply to this Topic
chelseadog

Mar 13

chelseadog says:

VFR 750

Hi Thanks for getting in touch,Yes I have tried that with another unit and have also tried a jump battery pack direct to the starter motor too.

Reply to this Topic
chelseadog

Mar 13

chelseadog says:

VFR 750FV

I remember quite awhile ago it seemed a bit noisy once after starting and seemed a bit slow to disengage after staring.

Reply to this Topic
chelseadog

Mar 13

chelseadog says:

VFR750FV

Thanks for getting in touch, I will do as you say take another look at the starter clutch assemby, I did not strip it down as I took it off and it seemed fine as it went one way quite easy and locked up the other way but will strip it down this time. Thanks again

Reply to this Topic
chelseadog

Mar 13

chelseadog says:

VFR no start

Hi,took out the starter clutch and found it in very good condition,any slight wear marks I took out with fine emery, refitted everything, no change at all. managed to bump start bike and run up to temperature, stopped engine, hopefully anything that was wrong might have jumped back in place (pause for laughter) no change at all, just a fluttering noise from the start relay solenoid.Must be something electrical but surely just leaving the side stand down whilst putting it in gear should not cause problems like this. !!!

Reply to this Topic
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

No start

have you checked the starter motor brushes and commutator for burning and wear. 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

voltage

I would go back to fogie first post,you have only given one battery reading which is low/borderline,also did you check fogie last question?

What`s the maximum voltage reading at the starter motor when cranking using the engine/bike frame for earth with any battery?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices