Skip to content

Discuss This Husqvarna: What the future may hold General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Husqvarna: What the future may hold

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Husqvarna: What the future may hold

Industry experts have questioned new Husqvarna owner Stefan Pierer’s plans to merge KTM, Husaberg and the famous brand into one ‘super firm’ using the car industry as inspiration. Pierer announced last week he was buying the historic Husqvarna brand from BMW which had opted to bail out from owning the firm despite five years of huge investment, renewal and design of...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 March 2013 14:59)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

The faith of Husky is now getting murkier

Initially Pierer mentioned that he intends to leave KTM to focus on Husky, now he wants to become the VW the dirt bikes, and run 3 brands two of which hardly sell any bikes at all.

If this is the new thinking.  I'd shelve Husaberg and Husky and just focus on making KTM even better and bigger specially with the new expansion into the Asian market.

Having both Husky and KTM, frankly now makes no sense at all, since KTM is so established as THE off-road brand and requires no additional help from other brands, specially miniscule ones.

Husky cost BMW probably 500,000,000 dollars and it got no where.  KTM can't do any better with it.

We all want to dream big, but VW works because the parent company sells millions of cars, even though their smaller brands Bugatti or Lamborghini may sell in the thousands combined.  Husky will only be a money pit for KTM.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

typo, sorry

MCN allows no correction, my title of course meant to read "Fate."

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

I hope you're wrong SHIVA

but alas I think you're correct :upset: I really can't see KTM having enough money to develop two significantly different x'ers that'll just compete with each other, and why would they :unsure:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Capo1213

Nov 11

Capo1213 says:

KTMHUSKYHUSA

I don't get a sense that the off-road market is actually growing, and the long term implications of the sector are murky. Environmental issues, an aging populace, fuel prices, etc. Hope that the 'brand management' of these three marques doesn't turn into 'badge engineering.'

Reply to this Topic
kel123

Sep 12

kel123 says:

Husqvarna

Same KTM/Husaberg, now available in red!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Terra/Strada

The Husqvarna dealer I talked to recently will be very unhappy if the Terra and Strada dual-sport thumpers are dropped from the line-up – good bikes at reasonable prices.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Oh, well, if an *academic* says so...

Get a proper job, hippy.

Sadly, I suspect that BMW might be right to focus on flogging tedious toil-pod transport-mobiles to proles and ecomentals.  "Powered two wheeler" sales across Europe are now predominantly small capacity scooters, and even those are in decline.  Throw in the Speed Stazi and get orrf moi laaarndies, and biking as a leisure activity is looking pretty ropey.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Husky - sorry, bit long

Husqvarna were known for lightweight & powerful off roaders, enduros and later supermotos. They were a niche company developed in sweden generally producing reliable good quality products.

Husaberg only started up when Husqvarna was sold to the italians as the staff in sweden still had a desire to produce bikes in the vane that they had been doing. The italians who bought Husqvarna didn't do a great deal with the bikes other than styling and a litle bit of engine work to keep them comparable to the competition.

When BMW bought the rights to Husqvarna they saddled the range with heavy, cumbersome designs with somewhat limited performance. That is BMW's legacy of ownership and they totally missed the point of the marque. If BMW had, for example, taken an MV F4 and saddled it with a R1200GS engine then people would have said what the 'eck are you doing. This is effectively what they did with Husqvarna in an attempt to sell more GS650 engines. Those same said engines were already substantially heavier and lower performance than what the husky range had previously. There was a slight attempt with boring out the F800 engines but they're still somewhat sanitised and heavy compared to Huskies core branding.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices