Skip to content

Discuss This New BMW R1200GS vs KTM 1190 Adventure: the debate New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New BMW R1200GS vs KTM 1190 Adventure: the debate

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

New BMW R1200GS vs KTM 1190 Adventure: the debate

Fresh from their respective launches, MCN’s testers of the new BMW R1200GS and KTM 1190 Adventure sat down to debate which made the biggest splash. What surprised you?Adam Child: How good it looked. It was never a good-looking bike.Michael Guy: Adventure bikes never are.AC: But now it is.  They’ve hidden the water-cooling really well and the huge header pipes are gone....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 March 2013 15:27)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

What suprised you?

The fact that, to start with, and then at other times, I had to guess which bike they were talking about. Come on guys, make the conversation a bit easier to follow!

Reply to this Topic
occytherp

Jul 05

occytherp says:

orange one for me please

Personally I would go for the KTM, it is an image thing and the 150 bhp would also be welcome. I just can't see myself riding a BMW and I prefer revolution to evolution. A brave and welcoming effort from KTM, this will stir up the adventure market and I can't wait for a group test with the others in the class.

Reply to this Topic
tancakar

Sep 11

tancakar says:

this is makes me laugh! always there is a  bmw vs ktm :) i tell you what very basicly go and see in the bike traders you will understand which bike is VERY GOOD. you buy a KTM for £13000 today tomorrow you cant sell it to £9000! you buy a bmw any bmw bike !!!!! for 13000 you will sell it £12500 !i am not a gs fan but BMW's new gs is a piece of machine, how can you even compare they have got more then 30 years experience in motorcycle touring. KTM 1190 :) so ugly , it has lost that dakar look looks like anything but an adventure bike ! 150 horse power ? why ? horse power is nothing without the midrange torque . anyways BMW is far more better bike then that chain drive 150 hp ducati copy without the gadgets ! and i promise you buy this KTM bike you cant sell it back !!!(may be it will take more time )  

Reply to this Topic
marty1035

Aug 07

marty1035 says:

tancaker sfulave your money and put your feet up in an old man's chair. The KTM continues the Austrian firm's legacy of power, great handling, light weight bikes that are so much fun to ride fast. Except they've moved the goalposts on further than ever before. BMW bikes are a lot like their cars (generally). Well built, good resale, reliable, inoffensive and dull. The GS continues this legacy. Yes it's much better than before but so it should be. Still looks fugly though.

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

Adventure bikes.

It will be a real adventure paying the servicing costs for the BMW and continually feeding the petrol tank of the KTM !

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

KTM v BMW

As mentioned, I guess the KTM will loose more money in a couple of years than the BMW, it may be more thirsty, and possibly ,more expensive to service ( I doubt that ) and their avarage dealer doesnt give you a coffee and donuts while you wait. However as a bloke with blood in my veins and a pulse, and despite being 50, Im just not old enough for the BM, and they also arent quite as reliable as you might think, and I dont want to look like a F%$King clone everywhere I go, I want that KTM I really want one.........now!

Reply to this Topic
AHA1

Feb 12

AHA1 says:

Always KTM

If you favour the BMer over the Katoom, you really need to ask yourself why you're biking in the first place. Pipe, slippers and a car is what you need. I'm hoping KTM bring out something purely road-oriented in 2014/15 i.e. half way between the Adventure and the ultra mental 1290 Super Duke. An 1190 SMT basically.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Horses

for courses. For some the convenience of shaft drive will outweigh any other benefits the KTM offer. For others who still have it in their head beemers are for the pipe and slippers brigade, they will always find a reason to dismiss shaft drive and focus on the overall weight of the bike. I don't think either is 'better' - both are likely to be brilliant. But they each still appeal to a sector of the market.

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

i though the new ktm was a honda as it looks so dull

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

The thing about big adventure bikes is the front suspension. If it's soft enough to go off-road, the thing headbutts the floor every time you break. My old 855 Tiger was the worst for that, with a frame made out of elastic bands, a soft front fork and all the weight up high. The old ktm was the same and reviews of the new one indicate it's better, but not perfect. That's why I decided to buy my old 1150gs in the first 200 yards of my test ride. (And long before charlie and ewan) The 1200gs always looked to plastic and breakable to me. I just wish others would put this type of suspension on big bikes. Suspension movement without braking dive. Also wish I still owned my gs.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices