Skip to content

Discuss This New BMW R1200GS vs KTM 1190 Adventure: the debate New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New BMW R1200GS vs KTM 1190 Adventure: the debate

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

New BMW R1200GS vs KTM 1190 Adventure: the debate

Fresh from their respective launches, MCN’s testers of the new BMW R1200GS and KTM 1190 Adventure sat down to debate which made the biggest splash. What surprised you?Adam Child: How good it looked. It was never a good-looking bike.Michael Guy: Adventure bikes never are.AC: But now it is.  They’ve hidden the water-cooling really well and the huge header pipes are gone....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 March 2013 15:27)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
karlmarx

Nov 12

karlmarx says:

Tiger 800xc.

Reply to this Topic
spareman

Feb 04

spareman says:

All you need.

I agree. As a Triumph Tiger 800xc owner, I think it is all you need in this sector.

Its lighter, cheaper, better looking (IMO) and moe capable off-road than the big BMW and KTM and even the Triumph Explorer. On the road it has more than enough power for legal speeds and above.

I heva looked at everything else but, for the first time ever, I can't see another bike I would change mine for.

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

wake up?Nightmare?

Dont worrey ElDiablo, its not a nightmare, there have been two new adventure bikes reacently launched, and one is lighter, has more horses, and is historically a better off road bike.

Actually I havent ridden either, and not many people have, I think these two bikes are closer together than the fans of either will admit, they have both become more/better faster road bikes, and Im sure most people would never ride either over much more than a fire trail. I think they do attract different people to them, yes the BM does seem to get older more sensible bikers,who may care about residule values etc     ( a lot have many years of riding and occasionally they embarrass kids on sportsbikes) ,and you just need to look at the KTM vidio clips to see what they are about, basically a bunch of hooligans who stick two fingers up to the establisment and the politically correct, -and I for one applaude them for it, the world is becoming sterile enough

Reply to this Topic
exceledsteve

Apr 10

exceledsteve says:

Residuals?

C'mon fellas talking about residuals. We buy and ride bikes because we love riding bikes... Whatever that bike is. Surely we're not buying one based on it's prospective depreciation? We don' t choose one over another because of reselling margins? Really? Who gives a shit about the day we sell it. It's the days we own it that matter to us and we'd better make sure we choose it with them in mind. There is no "this one is better than that one". You blokes peddling one over another are just pub talking bullshitters. To everyone else reading this buy the one you want because it's the one you want. Forget about all the other crap.

Reply to this Topic
gs12

Feb 10

gs12 says:

Cutomer focus Zero! BMW win hands down.

Having visited the NEC to view the new GS & KTM my first impression was that the Ktm could be a real contender for 2013. However my opinion has changed in the last few months because of one thing...MARKETING. I sent emails to a couple of Ktm dealers requesting a test rides on the 1190. Did i get an answer? NO nothing! BMW however have contacted me with all the info etc and i have taken a test ride the day after the bike hit the showroom. BMW are the best selling adventure bike manufacturer for a reason they how to sell them and keep those people they have sold to happy. Another point that needs to mentioned is have you visited a Ktm dealer? They are motocross focused not road and would you get the after sales service that BM offer? I know the answer and thats reason why i shall buy another GS even though i was struck by the Looks of Ktm.

Reply to this Topic
kramnamhoh

Apr 13

kramnamhoh says:

bmw not really world adventure bikes

I rode a KLR from California to Ushuaia, Argentina last year. I came across riders on various types of motorcycles. Every single rider on BMWs (10+ riders) had some sort of mechanical problem that I would consider major. Three GS800s with completely blown engines, multiple bent rims, shock failures, and an intake system that fell apart on a new GS1200. All the bmw riders talked about how they were in this shop or that shop getting their bikes fixed, and all had a story about electronic problems. None of the KTM 990 riders had major bike issues. NONE!! FYI....the KLR ran on shitty, dirty gas and didnt once give me even a minor problem in 25,000 miles of travelling....

Reply to this Topic
Mixo

Apr 13

Mixo says:

No comparison too different

Rode new BMW accross Australia 5000k dirt and bitumen, 2 up loaded and what a pig of a bike off the blacktop, Just rode KTM Adventure oh what a pleasure, different bike i should have ridden this one OZ then i would have enjoyed the trip, no clunky gerabox or avoiding mud or soft sand or anything else of road. BMW is only for the road, cannot handle anything else, mayb so many sold because no choice till now :-)

Reply to this Topic
NULUSIOS

Jan 13

NULUSIOS says:

Yeah sure Mixo...

R1200GS cannot do dirt.

http://youtu.be/MImBGeTJ7OI

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN