You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Yamaha XS 500B 1976

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Yamaha XS 500B 1976

Got myself an old Yamaha XS 500B towards the end of last year and although the bike runs, its a bit erratic and doesn't idle well, when I started it today I noticed petrol coming out the overflow on the R/H side, anyway I decided to remove carbs with a view to giving them a good clean thinking they were maybe gummed up but it turned out they were actually pretty clean, however I discovered the vacuum piston on the right hand side was stuck in the up position (left hand piston was in correct low position), the piston has some scratches on it as has the inside of the chamber which seems to be the cause of it sticking, and the spring is not able to push it back down easily due to this, cleaned it up anyway and got it moving a bit easier but it still has a tendency to stick occasionally due to the scratching! is there anything that could be done? or will I need to try and source replacement parts, the carburettor is the Keihin type as used on the earlier models and don't know how easy it would be to get spares?    

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 March 2013 23:33)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

overflow

As you know the needle valve/s is/are not shutting off the petrol,if the float/s do float then check the float heights (upsidedown 22mm i think) and try to blow through the fuel inlet tapping the carb (vibes) for valve seating.Scratches (no air filter?) polish the upper bore with solvol autosol or toothpaste.Also fit an inline filter between the fuel tap and carb.I`m fresh now.:blink:

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

carbs

Thanks for the reply, will try the autosol/toothpaste thing, there is an air filter however the plastic airbox was out of shape a bit at outlet and  no hose clips had been fitted so was not doing its job, this has allowed dirty air into carbs causing scratches, have previously fitted in line fuel filters.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle