Skip to content

Discuss This Have super nakeds become too powerful? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Have super nakeds become too powerful?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Davidson  says:

Have super nakeds become too powerful?

KTM has officially confirmed it will launch the all-new 185bhp Duke 1290 in October. But is that much power really necessary in a naked bike; is the naked class becoming too powerful and perhaps unnecessary? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 March 2013 13:10)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

preunit

Have to agree! Having ridden the V4 Tuono as well as the Speed Triple R, these machines are so good they're not real! The simple rule is, as with all high capacity bikes: Think far ahead, scrub at least 20% off your cornering limits and leave it to the track days to ride them in the way they're really designed for. So 'No' they haven't become too powerful, not in the right hands anyway!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MrGiggle

Nov 12

MrGiggle says:

Power?

Depends what you use the power for. If its just speed in a straight line yeah a naked bike isnt really what you want. But if you want a more usable bike around town with the power and you are able to have that freedom on the twisty roads then a naked bike is just perfect with the power. Personally I wouldnt have a supernaked because I wouldnt be able to live with the Windspeed past 70mph

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Power

The 185 BHP figure will be at the crank so rear wheel BHP is likely to be around 168-174BHP. That's the same as my Spondon is currently producing at the rear wheel and that's fairingless so you can gues what my take on this question is.

Reply to this Topic
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

cant use thepower

Like a a lot of road bikes now any thing past150 HP is to fast for the road and only good for the track. Only 5% of riders have the ability to use the power and if they used it on the road they would loose their licence. Most people buy these bikes as a status symble and if that's what they want its fine by me

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

personal pref

for me its to much power as im not into track days i prefer off road dirt riding and 150 bhp is basically useless, i prefer a good power to weight ratio, so a bike that i can pick up but still has 60 bhp is a rocket to me.

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

screens

I have had many naked bikes and love them. For wind protection in the winter chuck a screen on and some handlebar guards, some heated grips. There is plenty of wind protection if you tuck yourself in behind a suitable screen. You can easily take it off if you need to. I personally don't bother as I have a screen at a height were I can still feel the wind. As for power, its a great feeling that you know the power is there on tap if you ever were to need it, you do not have to be rossi to warrent having a powerful bike you can ride it and enjoy the bike at normal speeds and have just as much fun with a wonderful option to twist the throttle on a nice empty road .

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

BIKE

Forgot to mention I have a NC700S at the moment which is only 47 bhp but what a bike bottom end torque is fantastic nothing at the top though. Which is where is could do with a bit more for overtakes or getting out of trouble hence more power would help.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Headline Numbers Sell....

....a fact we all know very well. Whether it's a few more BHP for an engine, a few more MPG for a car or a few more megapixels for a camera. These numbers sell. 

I don't own a super-naked but I have ridden an Aprilia Tuono and a Ducati Diavel and thought they were great bikes but I think it's the shape of the power and torque curves which is more important for ridability than ultimate peak power.

The other important factor to consider in the quest for "most powerful" is that the brakes, suspension and tyres etc need to be top quality too as must the rider's skill level, or it's a recipe for disaster.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

Yes

Sorry, but I want one of these, 185bhp is a lot, but you loose about 10% by the time it gets to the back wheel, and Im an old fart that cant last 30 minutes on a sports bike, I sit on one and think wow! then if i get one, Im writing checks my body cant cash! so I need straight bars, a bit more legroom, and ideally a small screen, that way the wind blast looks after my license.

If you look at manufactures they are all developing these hyper nakeds, and sport/ adventure / traillie style, some of which are merging, I think this is down to customer feedback, now if we could all ask for adjustable seats, bars and pegs we may get them. Im constantly surprised how most companies are scared stiff if thier bike is too tall for someone over 5foot 6, or women riders, good on KTM for being a bit more brave with their new bikes Im not sure to go for the new adventure or wait for the new Duke, tough decision, I may need help, or money ,and get both.

Reply to this Topic
azicat

Feb 13

azicat says:

I think a bike is only "too powerful" when the engine completely overwhelms the chassis and braking capabilities. The classic Kawasaki Z1 only had around 80hp and many regarded it as "too powerful" thanks to its weedy frame and slippery brakes; the 60hp H1 Mach III was also fearsome thanks to the hinge in the middle and a bonkers power band. Nevertheless it's this absence of refinement which made them desirable to buyers of their era whilst establishing them as future classics.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices