Skip to content

Discuss This Have super nakeds become too powerful? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Have super nakeds become too powerful?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Davidson  says:

Have super nakeds become too powerful?

KTM has officially confirmed it will launch the all-new 185bhp Duke 1290 in October. But is that much power really necessary in a naked bike; is the naked class becoming too powerful and perhaps unnecessary? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 March 2013 13:10)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Another point to remember with a powerful naked bike is the effect on handling. At high speed, when you are hanging on for your life, the body acts like a sail pulling on the bars and making the front end go light. The faster you go, the more you pull, in effect trying to pull an involuntary wheelie and the best suspension in the world can't stop that. And thats why you need a fairing at speed, not just for comfort but for aerodynamics. If you want to use the full 185bhp of a naked bike at high speed, bloody good luck to you.

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

bistro biking

185bhp is totally wasted and mostly unusable without lower bars and a decent fairing. Yet another pretty thing for polishing and parking outside the bike cafe, which sadly KTM have got 100% right as that’s what many bikers prefer to actually riding anyway. Well done KTM.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Well...

It depends on where the power is. If it doesn't pull until you get 2/3 up the rev counter then it's pointless but low end power is loads of fun.

Reply to this Topic
RageRider

Jan 11

RageRider says:

@ rotop...I agree

Exactly right.

It obviously depends where and how that 185bhp (160ish at the rear wheel I'd guess) is spread. Low to mid would be great, high up would be rubbish and ultimately pointless.

I don't really see the point of a top end anything north of 140mph on a naked but it depends on the individual I suppose. I personally would change the gearing if I was that fussed by it but it wouldn't put me off buying one.

Although I have to say it does seem an excessive figure but at the same time it's fun and just a little bit cool to know that it's going to be an absolutely animal.

400+bhp cars are excessive but it doesn't stop them being appealing or highly desirable and selling well like BMW M3's & M5's for example.

Don't see the issue really, it's your money do what you like with it.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Waste

for a road bike.  Useless to put all that HP at the upper rpms where you don't ride all day long.  Better for the Duke to have freight train bottom and mids.   Unless it's a race bike, I hate linear power curves that simply climb in a straight line all the way to redline.  They feel so boring on the road which is why I hate I-4s.

I've run a 180 RWHP naked twin at Bonneville (4000 ft elevation and slippery salt) and my fastest timed mile was 177 mph.  Naked even with clip ons, hanging on is downright brutal.  Couldn't go any faster due to wind drag on my body which also cause even more rear wheel slippage.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Another pointless bike is

the 1190 Adventure.  What's the point of 150 HP on a bike that you would take offroad?  Traction is where it's at in the real world.  If you can't properly transfer the power to the ground, you fail.  On an adventure bike, control is important.  Having to fight the bike to keep control of it is exhausting. 

I've had too powerful of a dirt bike before and for enduros I was wrestling the bike everywhere, the throttle was too touchy and I could not be smooth, so I wasn't as fast as the bike was capable of.  I was smoother and faster on a less powerful bike. 

Too much HP can get you into trouble on a big adventure bike unless it never ever leaves the asphalt.

Reply to this Topic
MrRope

Mar 13

MrRope says:

Almost. How about more torque?

Maybe increase power as a by product of a torquier engine, but don't chase that "big number" rainbow. There is a limit based on the naked (now there's a "super naked" class apparently) design brief. A radio on a naked doesn't make sense, but if you want to compete with a Goldwing, you'll want eight speakers to beat the Honda's six. If these "super naked" bikes are about blasting from traffic-light to traffic-light, darting round 90 degree corners and looking shit hot while at it, then urban roadsters needn't worry about peak power - that's for their full-faired track based high speed brethren.

Manufacturers should realise naked bike buyers aren't stupid. We don't want speakers, we don't want bigger peak power numbers - focus on fuelling for our urban needs, torque for that green light acceleration, reduced weight for that city corner carving agility. That's right, make a "super" naked!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Yes

Where is one going to use all this power without going to jail? I would rather ride the whee out of the Duke 390 than go around barely being able to open up the throttle on the Duke 1290.

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

Torque...

is where its at not BHP, inline fours are not very good on the road with the speed limits we have but twins and triples are a lot more fun coming out of corners.

Street Triple might be my next bike again after going for inline four sportsbikes and not being able to really open them up other than when I go to the TT.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

If you

don't want a supernaked with too much power, don't but a supernaked with more power than you want.......supernaked buying advice there....

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices