Skip to content

Discuss This Have super nakeds become too powerful? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Have super nakeds become too powerful?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Davidson  says:

Have super nakeds become too powerful?

KTM has officially confirmed it will launch the all-new 185bhp Duke 1290 in October. But is that much power really necessary in a naked bike; is the naked class becoming too powerful and perhaps unnecessary? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 March 2013 13:10)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Boult

"If you don't want a supernaked with too much power, don't but a supernaked with more power than you want.......supernaked buying advice there...."

That's one way to look at it.  The thing is, most of us want the better chassis, suspenders and brakes that these machines have.  The problem is, in order to get those things, you have to take the overly excessive engine that comes with it.

Going to a smaller displacement or simply less powerful bike more often than not means having to settle for budget suspenders and brakes because they're also built to a more affordable price point.

That's all we're complaining about.  We want the confidence of a great handling rolling chassis, just not a bunch of useless peak HP (which also means crappy fuel mileage).

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

In relative terms....

There are few of us that can fully enjoy the experience and pure adrenalin rush generated by the simple act of "giving it a handful" on a "too Powerful" machine with two wheels......Long may it continue.

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

What you need is a pretty throttle response. I love the MV Brutale 800. It's a beautiful bike, has great brakes and is very nimble, plus it's really not expensive for what you get. But Mv living about next door to Magnetti engine manegment? How can MV get it so wrong? Must say this is from the tests i've read, but still. This MV Brutale with a good throttle response would be perfect. It's good looking , 800 3/cilinder with 125hp . Jus't perfect , i sat on 1 at a dealer. And it's got an attack the bends thing going on. I wouldn't even mind if it breakes down once in a while. But throttle response is important!!

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Where's the common sense in some of these comments?

The engine is connected to this weird thing that you hold in your hand called a throttle. If you twist it all the way back the bike goes quicker and if you twist it slightly less it doesn't go as quick. Manufacturers are even putting in sensors to stop you going quicker than road conditions allow and hurting yourself.

Some people might not like the idea of owning a very powerful and potentially fast motorcycle. That is entirely their choice and good luck to them. I would expect those people not to buy such a bike as the KTM 1290 Duke. It is however suprising when the thread becomes that these people don't want that sort of bike so others shouldn't have the choice.

185BHP will be a mythical figure like almost every manufacturers power claim and 165 rear wheel BHP is likely to be closer to the real value. I've ridden bikes like these (fairingless)  with that sort of power before and they're rather good fun. This bike will be on a shortlist of bikes I'd want to try and if fueling is sorted I could see myself getting one.

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

numpties will buy these!

Recent posts ref ‘common sense’ and ‘if its too powerful don’t buy it’ – BUT these bikes will be bought by bikers with no common sense who are not big enough nor experienced enough to know these bikes will kill them. And no, its not just their choice! It means bhp restriction or bans and higher insurance for all of us. Quite bluntly if 180bhp+ nakeds become common then the sooner they introduce compulsory advanced riding licences for anything over 150bhp the better – to protect us from the numpties.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Room101

"numpties will buy these!" "these bikes will be bought by bikers with no common sense who are not big enough nor experienced enough to know these bikes will kill them". 

With sweeping throw away comments like that, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're a retard and not a troll, stick to your 125 and leave the rest of us to buy and enjoy what we want :wink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

You see adverts all the time saying "the bike is to big for me " or  "to fast ? " . Why buy a large powerfull bike , they  must have a idea  what  it"s potential  is ? . But an  old mate who used to be a bike cop many years ago had just  two bits of advice  for riders  -  treat everyone else on the road ,who you come across as a complete idiot  ,then you should be safe , and the  throttle on a big bike works both ways . As for more tests & training  , yeah ! thats all we need , our ranks are going down fast  as it is , and in a few years we will be a rare sight  on the road , the only bikes you will see -  off road &  track  bikes .

Reply to this Topic
Fomancu

Jul 08

Fomancu says:

Launch date "Oct 2013"

strange..I contacted my local KTM dealer and they could not give me either a launch date(or unsurprisingly, a RRP)....MCN can you enlighten me? Oh and yes: Ill have one........

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

More Training?

Hmmmmmm.... Never had any, Never needed any, been riding 35 years.... Seen Millions of shit car drivers that need it though.

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

to be clear ...

@preunit, are you having a problem with basic English language then? Or are you the one making a sweeping statement / assumption that ALL bikers that buy this sort of bike (e.g. the 185bhp naked KTM) will not be numpties? It’s obvious that bikers on all sorts of bikes are a combination of excellent, experienced and skilled and some that are not. The problem being with a 185bhp naked is the one’s that are not (skilled etc.) will have trouble keeping the front wheel on the deck and the bike out of the hedge. What part of that don’t you understand? You’re a KTM man I presume, so you should know there’s a world of difference between an RC8 R which is setup to use all its 173bhp and stick it into the deck and go around corners, and a 185bhp very light high bar naked which I think you’ll agree needs a bit of skill to ride properly. (if I’d have said everyone who buys this is a numpty then that’s a sweeping statement, mine certainly wasn’t!). ‘’and leave the rest of us to buy what we want’’ again, lack of comprehension in addition to your inability to read. I stated that right now we ALL are free to buy this bike if we have a licence and the money. I explained that bikers who don’t have the skill to ride this bike will eventually become a statistic which will then effect us all. Their freedom effects our freedom! … again what part of that don’t you understand??? As for being a retard or riding a 125, oh geesh – grow up. (local Honda dealer has a couple of blades and gixxer thou with a few k miles on them, the dealer tells me the bikes scared the crap out of the owners so they chopped them in for something more suitable for them, same story at the local BMW dealer who has a couple of S1000RR’s low mileage with the same reasons) For the record, I cant wait to take the Duke 1290 out, if the fueling and throttle is sorted it will be a special ride. 

@rockabillyboy, I totally agree with you, thus I voiced my concern. I’ve held an advanced for over ten years and recently retested and passed again. But non-voluntary advanced tests will kill biking. We’ve seen the licensing mess that the government have made at the low bhp/cc end, the wonderful authorities don’t need much encouragement to introduce more licence levels at the top end! (again re earlier post, the advanced test would be the lesser of two evils but there is no resource to do this, so i fear they simply slam a new 100bhp limit on us as was proposed in Euro draft)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices