Skip to content

Discuss This Have super nakeds become too powerful? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Have super nakeds become too powerful?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Davidson  says:

Have super nakeds become too powerful?

KTM has officially confirmed it will launch the all-new 185bhp Duke 1290 in October. But is that much power really necessary in a naked bike; is the naked class becoming too powerful and perhaps unnecessary? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 March 2013 13:10)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Room101

sorry but you are a retard.....repeat "numpties will buy these!" "these bikes will be bought by bikers with no common sense who are not big enough nor experienced enough to know these bikes will kill them". 

Your sweeping statements sir, not mine. So now your saying that some of the people that buy "these bikes" might not be numpties and some have common sense?. I could rest my case, but you somehow assume that "these bikes" are more dangerous in the wrong hands than say a ZZR1400, RC8R or S1000RR, really :wacko:

"Local Honda dealer has a couple of blades and gixxer thou with a few k miles on them, the dealer tells me the bikes scared the crap out of the owners" 

Anyone who's ridden a new Blade knows it's one of the easiest and friendly ltr supersports going, scary?, yes if you want it to be,(throttle goes both ways) but the fueling and chassis is spot on and a doddle to ride around town, same with the Gixxer, if you don't want a supersports bike then don't buy one, if you don't want a supernaked don't buy one, but above all please don't call someone a numpty because of their choice of bike :wink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

room 101

for someone who Was only going to make one reply on this Forum.... You are really getting into it!!!!! Bugger me, You'll be a Bronze soon. Oh and... Get over the Training/Advanced Rider/ROSPA thing FFS. Some of us Have A natural ability to "Stay alive"... if you have required all that training over the years ...then fair play to you... The rest of us Ain't Complaining... Only you. As for" Numpties", I have read your Post and Can't see anything other than a "Sweeping Statement" Attacking anyone who would buy one. Go read it..... Were you Drunk when you wrote that or did you choose to ignore it ?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

oh yeah and...

My great Grandad remembered when a man used to walk in front of a "Horseless Carriage" waving a flag.... All the "NaySayers" were aghast when it was found that we could go faster than walking pace.

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

Who is calling anyone a numpty because of their choice of bike – not me! I said numpties will buy these bikes! Numpties also buy blades and s1000rr’s they buy all sorts of bikes. As is said the blade is easy to ride, I’ve put plenty of miles on the latest blade (the same model others apparently got scared of, see my point? … err, no you don’t do you, maybe I should use shorter words). I’ve also ridden motocross bikes with a quarter the power and a bstd to ride. Big high power light high bar nakeds will IMO be a bstd to ride. A really bad ability to read from a couple of gold-stars here – still, its Monday tomorrow, so you can catch up in class soon. … as for doing an advanced vs. natural riding capability, I rode for over 20 years before I did an advanced, including competition. So carry on hanging on to your stereotypes guys, I guess it makes you feel comfortable. Personally, I couldn’t care less what you ride or what licence you hold. My original posts were pointing out that that some people will throw powerful nakeds into a hedge and fk it up for the rest of us and I pointed out that others DO have skill and experience, but some of you guys focus (cherrypick) in one element and call it a sweeping statement. Keep calm girls, nobody is gonna steal your rhubarb. (can’t wait to get my bronze badge so I can be one of you)

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

@ preunit, ok lets try and have a grown-up discussion re the subject of this thread. You just said I assume that bikes like the KTM Duke 1290 are going to be more dangerous than a (your list) ZZR1400, RC8R or S1000RR (good examples preunit), yes I do! Why? Because (and this is my opinion only, as all postings here are) those bikes have relatively lower bars and higher pegs (I don’t think the fairing comes into things until high speed, that’s an efficiency thing as with a doubling of speed the drag force quadruples, so it’s a secondary safety issues and more a case of wasting a 185bhp engine in a naked chassis) so any power they produce is easier to control (downforce on front wheel also countering rotating force from rear wheel under power) both in a straight lines with loads of acceleration, and going around corners. There is a good reason why track bikes and sports bikes are generally setup this way, because it works! So yes, that’s what I think. And I think, Honda, Kwak, BMW, KTM and lots of other OEM’s think the same too, cos that’s how they have generally been building bikes that have 185bhp (or whatever). Snev with his very drag-slippy busa will know this too. Obviously I assume (and I could be wrong) that the Duke will be a high power with relatively high speed bike to take on the Speed Triple, rather than a lower speed high torque bike to take on something like a VRod (with power basically equating to torque x revs – with torque and gearing KTM wouldn’t need that bhp to do the latter would they?)

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Preunit....

You never said you grew RHUBARB m8...

Room101....With Posts like that, You already are one of us.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

lets be

honest

the answer is YES YES YES

will we buy it   YES YES YES

why = we dont care

another question was Everest to high to climb

YES YES YES

but it was climbed   why because it was there

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

its too cold today for the ktm

… thanks snev, I feel the love. (tis bl**dy freezing out, today’s vote is for fairings, I change my vote back again in the summer) – right, back to the allotment.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Simple question

The simple answer is no.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Room101

As I have said in my postings I already ride these types of bikes and have been for many many years. The strange thing is when you have a bike like this you treat it with a degree of respect. For a similar BHP supersports bike it could be suggested that people will ride them with somewhat less safety margin than a naked bike. If that is the case then your comments are fundamentally flawed.

There are many people that have been riding streetfighter style bikes with big modern engines shoe-horned in to the frame. They are effectively what KTM are just now producing. Apparently a significant proportion of these people should now be dead cause they're not capable of riding such a powerful naked bike without killing themsleves?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices