Skip to content

Discuss This Have super nakeds become too powerful? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Have super nakeds become too powerful?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Davidson  says:

Have super nakeds become too powerful?

KTM has officially confirmed it will launch the all-new 185bhp Duke 1290 in October. But is that much power really necessary in a naked bike; is the naked class becoming too powerful and perhaps unnecessary? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 March 2013 13:10)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

the tipping point?

@Spondonste – sorry I didn’t mean to say / portray that sports bike riders ride with less of a safety margin. Sorry if it came over that way (which I think it may have done reading back on it). If I was saying that then I agree my ‘argument’ would be fundamentally flawed. I have also owned a naked V twin streetfighter for a number of years. Re a significant number of people killing themselves on this type of bike, good discussion point (which I think is hinted at in the question that heads this thread), when is the tipping point when too much is too much? I have no idea. Is it self regulating in that riders know exactly what they are getting in to when they buy a 185bhp naked? There are plenty of people who bin mopeds each day! But maybe at the other end of the bike food chain the buyers are more cognisant of what they are buying so it self regulates? I don’t know – but I think it’s a good discussion.

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

gentlemen please!

Boys, please bear in mind this is an "extreme" bike by a manufacturer who's motto is "built to race" or something similar,It is built for experienced riders and not intended as your first big bike, it will produce extreme views, and is probably intended to do so. I remember when the Busa first came on the market having the same reaction, and now its thought of a sporty tourer almost.

As a great juno once said, " every biker is a bit of a rebel at heart" except Harley riders, their just rebelling against buying a better bike!

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h1e9oulMd8

and tell me you don't want it? or at the very least are grateful you live in a world that allows such things to exist?

is it too powerful, NO the throttle works both ways

will it scare novices? fuck yes, thats the point:biggrin:

if you can't see that, then question why you ride bikes instead of driving a car.

its a stupid extreme beauty thats a work of art that will speak to the heart of anyone who wants to buy one. if your heart isn't beating fast just thinking about it then don't buy it.

i believe dulls villes are very sensible.:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
sandmacker

Oct 10

sandmacker says:

the switch

These bikes do have sport ,touring and rain modes , traction control , launch control, wheelie control etc. But these bikes are absolutely over the top beasts that are way too powerful and unnecessary for what they are .

We wouldn't have it any other way hahaha .

Tuono V4 , full titanium system ,bst wheels , K&N filter , race ECU , bar end mirrors , and a wee touring fairing so my hands don't start peeling off the bars at 250+kph ladies.

When you hear it scream it's only asking for more

Reply to this Topic
rafolian

Sep 12

rafolian says:

Supernaked's

Re. Room101, In the words of Del-boy, What a plonker!!!!

Reply to this Topic
sandmacker

Oct 10

sandmacker says:

Let's put things in perspective . When have these type of bikes ever been about common sense ? They are designed to assault the senses . They said the same about the Kwaka 9 way back , the 750 widow maker , and others . They are designed to be a pure adrenaline rush , and designed to be ridden in that way . And BTW I'm 55 , and I also know people as old as 68 (not a typo error), who pursue this sort of pleasure .

Yes , they are extreme and they may well kill us /me , but whilst it isn't , it is giving me a buzz like no other . We are living life to the max . Thanks to these works of art  it gives humanity a reality check . We call it social darwinism yes ? If your young, dumb with cum up your bum and you think your gonna jump on that thing just ride it ; in the words of Arnie ..... astalavista baby !!! That beast will bite

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

@rafolian – sweet, is that it? (yawn) Anything to contribute to this discussion?

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

@sandmacker, I agree, there’s haven’t been too many new bikes in the last few years that are actually massively exciting. Engineering is so good now that even some very fast bikes are not that exciting. Besides KTM I don’t really know who is making bikes, besides the odd model, that (in your words) ‘assault the senses’. Shame Buell went under and never stuffed Suzuki’s TLthou into their frame, would have given KTM a run for their money.

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

from those nice Italians

although maybe this :smile ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlACjKWNTMI

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN