Skip to content

Discuss This What is stopping you from heading out on an adventure? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > What is stopping you from heading out on an adventure?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Davidson  says:

What is stopping you from heading out on an adventure?

This week’s MCN featured Ian Coates, a 69 year-old great grandfather. Ian left home 14 years ago on what was supposed to be a four-month trip. He and his Africa Twin have just returned to the UK after a 250,000-mile ride across six continents. So what is stopping you from chucking it all in and heading out on your very own...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 March 2013 13:15)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Key

The key is being independently wealthy, so you can afford to go without earned income (never mind the travel expenses).

Reply to this Topic
mickra

May 08

mickra says:

Money,

Only Money, that's all that stops us.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Let me see, what could possibly keep you here in the UK and stop you from just getting on the bike and riding off somewhere for a few weeks:-

the wet and cold UK weather, road gritting, potholes,the monotonous, tedious, relentless 9 - 5.30 grind for 5 days a week (don't know when the extra half hour came in but 9-5 is a thing of the past) and trying to cram your life into 2 days at the weekend, deleting spam emails, answering endless txt messages about claiming back payment protection insurance, the miserableness of people you meet, the lack of community spirit, street litter and dog turds on the footpath........

That ferry will be full next week!

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Where to start?

Try horizonsunlimited.com

Reply to this Topic
jekyllandhyde

Apr 10

partner

As much as I adore the idea, there is no way I could justify the expense in money and time to my other half. THAT is what holds me back. I have already planned one route around East Europe and another across North Africa =(

Reply to this Topic
zemmy

May 12

zemmy says:

get away

I went to Cape Town one January putting in over 15,000 miles,from South London.The 4 month jaunt cost £260 including ferries, fuel-28p gollon in Nigeria-and food. Plus another £300 for a slightly modified new 250cc MZ. There's a centre fold write up in MCN,if you think i'm joking. Everything is relative.My tradesman wage then was about £50.week. Oh when was that. 1977. the MZ was sold with 54,000 in Zimbabwe for £500. Practically a free trip,so what's stopping you.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Zemmy

I'd like to point to the fact that was 1977, different times and everything is relatively more expensive, the costs in Africa are much more these days since being more developed as is getting there, fuel is astronomically more expensive WHEREVER you go. The cost is the only thing stopping me, I can't afford to take 2-3 weeks (or more) off work that you need for trips further afield than Europe, can afford a quick European tour cus' it's so blinking expensive and with mortgage, bills cost of just getting by day to day etc it's just not feasible for me. It really would be a case of selling up and buggering off to join the circus and I've done that once in my life (long story) and there's no way the wife would go for that!

Reply to this Topic
zemmy

May 12

zemmy says:

continuation

Unless you are rich,have no family responsibilities,or are retired with a nice Endowment and in good health,trips like this can only remain a dream. Still,quite a few people and often couples undertake these long treks and going by bike is perhaps the best way ,as other bikers are generally very friendly.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices